might be selling machine - need advice

Hi everyone

I am talking to an individual about selling my machine. It is a long distance sale. Situation - she does not want to pay in full prior to seeing machine - I hate to send everything off without payment in full. I know many of you have sold machines & some of those sales I am sure were similar to what I am confronting. Do any of you have a solution that would be good for both parties. Brainstorming would be good right now. I want to sell & I think she would like my machine.

thanks.... Meg

Meg,

Do not ship your machine under any circumstances without payment in full. If she's not sure she can look at pictures and read your posts here where you've talked about how great the machine is and how much you love it. If she's not happy with that then she should buy new. There are scammers that get the machine and disapppear with it.

Have her pay in full with the agreement that if she is not totally satisfied she can ship it back (all shipping is her expense) and you will refund the money. You can have a document notarized or have an attorney or paralegal put it together. Charge her the fees for doing so.

don't do it... you might tell her that it's best for her to find another seller closer to her... as for your machine, another buyer will come along... anyone that knows longarm machines knows that it's all mechanical... and anything that is mechanical can be fixed... well... that's what my mechanic husband tell me anyway..and so far, it's been true...and i agree with the others above about other options... HOWEVER... even if she sends you a check or money order, be wary... lots of scams out there using that ploy as well... sounds like she doesn't quite trust YOU... well... if i were you, i'd turn that wariness around and be sure you check HER out thoroughly... maybe she can contact a dealer in her area and that dealer can speak to the dealer in your area... i can't even believe someone even suggested making a partial payment and then expecting you to trust her for the rest!

Just to step in on the buyer's side of this whole thing: sending $15k to someone you don't know, in liquid funds, in the hopes that they will send you a working machine, is a lot to trust. On Ebay, there's a process for "sanctioning" someone who doesn't follow through on their sale properly - we don't have the same process here. I guess both buyer and seller have to beware to a certain extent, and both have to find a way to trust the other, or the sale just won't happen.

Even if she did send you the money up front and you send the machine, if she decides to send it back, there will be wear and tear in shipping that you may not want to happen. Risks, it's all a risk. I'd rather find someone local who can come see it in person and pick it up.

well said Barb! I was in this buyer's shoes several months ago. I have watched many awesome deals on used machines come and go, and in the end I decided to buy new, as I was not comfortable sending $15,000 to a total stranger and then waiting and hoping my machine would arrive in good condition, if at all. Perhaps if I had found a regular user of this forum (like Meg) who was selling, I would have been more inclined to buy used. All the machines I was interested in were posted by new users, and I didn't "know" them from this chat. Too stressful for me to risk all that money!

It is a trust issue for both buyer and seller. I don't envy your decision, Meg. Most quilters are honest people. If I had to lay bets, I'd bet that this lady is probably an honest person, but there is always a risk. I hope you find a way to resolve this, and I wish you good luck with whatever you decide to do (and I'm sure if you don't sell to this lady, someone else will come along who will love your machine!)

Meg, I'm in Canada and I bought my machine from Ohio. It isn't right of the buyer to expect you to ship it, unpaid/partial payment. Fortunately for us our seller met me in Minneapolis where, if totally unsatisfied, I could have refused. He was very honest and I ended up with a great deal. If your buyer is truly interested, she would do as Joan suggests. Everyone here is giving good advice.

I agree with all the good advice here. If you still want to go forward, find a mutually agreed-upon escrow entity to hold the money--peace of mind for you both.

I will add--Meg's deal is so good. Her Milli has so many expensive add-ons, tools, pantos, toys, etc. Someone needs to snap this one up!

Thank you for all your input. I agree with all that has been said. In the end, things might work out easier than I thought. Will let you all know as things progress. Kristina - thanks for the heads up on the cashier's check. Will have to figure that one out - will probably just stop by the bank and get their opinion as to how to handle. There is a 3rd party I may be able to use.........

Kristina's right about the Cashier's checks. We flew to Detroit a few years ago to make a large purchase. We had a cashier's check, but we couldn't leave with our item until their bank called ours to verify that the funds were there and good.

Hope it works out for you Meg; you're offering a terrific deal!

When making a large purchase like this, we use a "certified check". This is a check issued by the bank that guarantees that the funds are and will be there to cash the check. The only way to make sure that the seller is going to get paid. We use paypal for a lot of things as it offers a way to settle if neither party is happy with the transaction.

Wish you well with your sale,

Margie

A few years ago, I bought my first Bernina used from an individual in Utah. We used the escrow system of Paypal. She paid the fee associated with it (minimum charge). I put the money in the Paypal escrow account. She shipped the machine, insured, and I had five days to inspect the machine. During these five days, I could have notified Paypal of my rejection and, upon receipt of the machine by the seller, the funds would have been released back to me. Of course, all works well until there is a problem with the machine ie. damage in shipment etc... Then, it would be a real hassle to sort it out. Send me u2u if you need me to talk to her about the machine. Hope all works out for you.

Marie

Archived