My First Wholecloth

Kay Anderson

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Kay Anderson

.......What do you think girls? Should I add some color to it like Irena Bluhm did on her bug quilt?

Wow, Kay this quilt is Gigantic! :o And it is absolutely amazing. :)

And you had a question about adding color... for this particular one,,, my personal opinion is:

No touchy with color --- No touchy with color --- No touchy with color --- No touchy with color

Do not fear! I "No touchy" with color! :P

I am going to show the quilt at MQS this year. Then we will be raffling it off. I'll let you all know. Bonnie warned me it might be a lot smaller when I got all the finish work done. It's now completly finished and measures 86 inches square. (I had given myself a lot of room on the sides to make sure the tensions stayed ok and to practice unfamiliar elements). It looked so big to start with, but I think I'm pleased with the size it turned out.

This quiilt just got me fired up to try a real Trapunto quilt. I contacted Karen McTavish about selling the layout, but she hasn't given me an ok to do that. Copy right again, oh well.

Do not fear! I "No touchy" with color! :P

I am going to show the quilt at MQS this year. Then we will be raffling it off. I'll let you all know. Bonnie warned me it might be a lot smaller when I got all the finish work done. It's now completly finished and measures 86 inches square. (I had given myself a lot of room on the sides to make sure the tensions stayed ok and to practice unfamiliar elements). It looked so big to start with, but I think I'm pleased with the size it turned out.

This quiilt just got me fired up to try a real Trapunto quilt. I contacted Karen McTavish about selling the layout, but she hasn't given me an ok to do that. Copy right again, oh well.

Kay could you please post a finished photo...I would love to see how it looks now that its been bound and blocked....

I did mark it with a very light blue chalk before putting it on the machine. I had sized all of the motifs in AutoCad first, then printed them out. I used my stencil tech. to make the stencils. The 10 days included marking the quilt and stitching all the motifs and the backgrounds.

Kay! Please elaborate on your stenciling technique. I've made a lap-sized wholecloth quilt and the marking took 4 days! I did it by tracing, obviously a slower method. How did you keep the chalk from rubbing off during the quilting?

Please refer to my web-site. www.threadtrails.com

The directions for making and useing my stencils are free for download. Let me know how it works for you. To keep the chalk from rubbing off I sprayed very lightly with hairspray. The nice thing is, if some does rub off you have the stencils at the ready and it isn't hard to remark at the machine. Much easier than tracing!

Kay! Thank you so much for responding. This method looks extremely fast. Once the template is finished, you're off and running. Wholecloth quilts do tend to have lots of repeated patterns.

The powder will not rub off after using hair spray? Seriously? I tend to move the quilt quite alot. Folding, unfolding, twisting, repositioning, etc. I'm going to play with this, because powder marking would be very fast!

Fyi, I've always used Crayola Washable Markers. I'm still on my first set of 8 markers, nine years later. I always, always, test first. Treat the test piece the same way I will be treating the fabric, ie, iron with starch or sizing. Then I mark using several colors to see which one is most visible, label each color with a permament marker. I let this sit for a few days, even iron, if I think I might do that at some point during the project. Then I hand wash. I've never had these markers stain the quilt. And my first quilt, done by hand, took a year. I gotta tell you, I was concerned when I went to wash it, but the marks came out!

Thanks again for this. I have a Dremel, just need the template material & pouncing pad.

• 3 months later...

Archived