Batting batting batting

I know the same OLD question. What Batting? After reading all the batting posts I can find and still I am not sure. I was thinking of putting each one in a hat and DRAW to see who the winner might be. lol

I need to place and order and I ordering from Quilters Dream. I love these products.

Dream Puff. I am on the list. Still on BACK ORDER.

Do you use the Poly blends or do you prefer COTTON. I understand the Dream Cotton is wonderful and so is the wool.

Now for the more Custom approach or show quilt I want to have the best on hand. In this case would I want the 100% cotton and in what loft? My guess is to order the Deluxe as it has higher loft and I love that look but is it too much loft? Would that be too much? What have you tried?

The Request is too thin in all the samples at least to me.

Is the Cotton HEAVY? Will it hang better with Cotton? I haven't tried 100% cotton yet. I am told I will love it though.

For the everyday quilts Quilters dream also has a Poly Blend in One choice of the SELECT. It is 70/30. Seems this would be good for large and medium Pantos as it can have a 12" apart stitch ( Not that I have any design that stitch that far apart) and I do alot of pantos and this seems to be a good choice. Has anyone used this and does it feel good? To me all poly's will stiffen if stitched densly. Most of my customers do not want too dense and I like that.

Anyway. I need to make up my mind here. Time for an order. They are so nice at QD and 100% cotton seems to be the choice for most quilters from what I gather. Anyway, I may just order a pack of each one to do a small quilt with so I can experiece it myself.

I still have almost a whole bold of Hobbs 80/20 and I don't want to knock it but I truely do not like it. I don't like the way it feels and the quality isn't what I expected. Maybe after getting my Quilters Dream ( which I'm almost out of) I just can't go back. I just want to finish it and be done with it. I do like the Warm and Natural for large pantos. It quilts well but its a tad stiff. Would not get too dense with it unless its an art quilt or similar.

PS. MQS is almost here. YEEEEEEE HaWWWWWWW

I have never taken a trip by myself. And I get the whole week( Sunday to Sunday). I'm going to be totally lost. I'm actually wondering what it will be like. Maybe I can get into some more classes or volunteer for something. Anyway I have never been so excited about a trip before. I can't wait to meet you all!!!!!!!

Grammie,

You are almost rambling!!:P I'm glad you posted this message because there are just so many choices it boggles the mind. Hope you get some good answers that will help.

I will be volunteering in the quilt show at MQS on Thursday from 2 - 4 - white glove...look for me.

Mary Beth

Grammie,

I had the same questions and also decided on the Quilter's Dream products. They are just such great people. They have a wonderful item they call the Batt Pack. It is a craft size batt of almost everything they make in all the lofts and it was only $25! I ordered one and used it to quilt-up samples of all my pantos and free-hand designs. Killed two birds with one stone... customers can see how the designs stitch-out and they can feel the different battings. Nope, the making stitch samples was not my own idea... I have learned to only steal the good ones.

Leslie

ps... I did baptist fans on the thickest 100% cotton... It got pretty heavy.

For a show quality job the best is Hobbs Wool. Lightweight, excellent loft and oh, so cuddly! But for a nice loft in a practical weight and reasonable price, I am in love with the new Warm 50/50. It is by the same people that make warm and natural, and it is lightweight and comfortable but keeps a nice loft. If I really want the quilting to show I use 2 layers Hobbs 80/20. There is a product for every desired result. The only reason I have a 100% cotton product (Warm and Natural) is that some people insist on it, even though it flattens out in no time.........

Grammie, MQS is so interesting, you will be overwhelmed.

One thing you can do is ask the batting suppliers at MQS for samples. Take them home and try them out. Don't be afraid to talk to the vendors and ask lots of questions. I came home last year with all kinds of new things to try out. Hobbs is introducing some new battings, I'm not sure if they will be shown at MQS but I do know they were aiming at Quilt Market which is the following week. I use lots of Hobbs 80/20 but the bleached, it seems to be

much more consistant quality and love their Poly Down for those who like puffy quilts. I have a roll of QD's select cotton and since it's a little more expensive most customers opt for the Hobbs 80/20. Personally I like the QD cottons and my Alpaca/wool.

A handy thing to take is a small roll around suitcase, about $10.00 at Wal*Mart or Target. Have fun. jeri

Archived