Facebook or Blogs? Who uses these and what do you like about them?

I've just got started with Facebook and really don't understand much about it yet! I expect it is quite addictive.

I do a weekly blog but have had to upgrade it to the pro one as it had a lot of traffic... I don't know if quilters read it or spammers! I am not allowed to exceed 5K bandwidth and I'm almost there so it gets taken off until the following month. I have had messages asking where is it? if it's not available. It is not all sewing - lots on my mad other lives.

I have been blogging for a few years and I love. My blog posts aren't always quilt related . . there were months it seemed where all I discussed was the chicken coop (or lack thereof!).

I don't show quilts that I'm doing for others on either the blog or facebook.

Many wonderful friendships have developed due to the blog and most of my teaching engagements come from someone who reads my blog recommending me to their guild program chair.

My suggestion would be to think about what you hope to accomplish before you start blogging or using facebook, then think about how you'll get to that goal by using the blog or facebook.

The good thing is that you can do it with no upfront cost, try it for a while and see if you like it before spreading the word that you've started the blog or facebook.

I dragged my feet on the whole facebook thing but it has turned out to be a great way to hook back up with lost friends and even relatives! I had a good friend that I lost touch with many years back and she found me on facebook. Just today I got an email from a cousin I didn't even know I had! LOL it is kind of funny. My dad's side of the family wasn't very good at keeping in touch. My aunt was the first one to join me and then through her this 2nd cousin got in touch with me. I can't say I even remember my father talking about his mother! How bad is that? I'm actually now glad that I joined it. Who knows maybe I'll meet a long lost sister...you never know!

I use face book daily, however I do not in any way play the games they have available. Why? if you choose to play Farmville or do any polls, they ask you to accept their conditions that allows them to take all of your information and your friends information and do with it what they will. I won't put myself out there for them or the people I have as my friends. I know of several who are my friends that are involved with those games and such and know now that my info has been leaked with out my consent to who knows who. I find that disturbing. Most of them don't seem to care or think it won't be detrimental later but I wonder. I sure get allot more spam now and comments from people I don't know.

I have a FT job and life is so busy for me I barely have time to hang with y'all here on the APQS chat, let alone be a regular on the FB and blogs... I have no time for that. But, that said, I did finally succomb...I came kicking and screaming and finally got a FB account. I don't do much with my own FB page at all... but sometimes when I have a chance, I will poke around on some of the friends or my family pages to see what's up. It's kinda cool to see what people are up to on a daily basis. Some people post updates on the hour or several times throughout the day? Wow. That's serious. My mom plays the games on FB but she is retired and stays home all day so she can do that. I have no time for FB games. I don't want to get too sucked into a computer at home during evening time because I already sit in front of one all day! :P I could see how someone could spend hours and hours on FB chatting with friends.... wow! Not me. No time.

I've been dabbling in facebook, but prefer forums like this, and reading the blogs some of you write. I have a theory that whichever social network technology works best for you is a function of how you like to communicate in all parts of your life. Are you the hub of your group of friends, is your life an open book, or are you more private? Are you succinct or wordy? Do you communicate more or less frequently, and do you reveal a lot or a little about yourself? And where are your grandkid's photos most easily accessible?

Just my thoughts . . . it's snowing today, so I seem to have "gone cerebral".

I have both...Facebook (only invited people see this, its not public) is more where I keep close to family and friends that I don't see or talk to regularly, and a few who I haven't seen in YEARS and totally lost all contact with have found me once again....it was a good day for sure when Tim found us.

...and my blog is a hit and miss thing..... But I have made a promise I will blog more to keep it as a journal place to keep track of things more for family and quilt related... and it is a place or way to keep in touch when you really want to say more than just hello, but don't have the time to.

I have a blog that I started last month and find it very user friendly, I love to read blogs and write on mine.

I signed up for a Face book acct and can't get back in! I feel so dumb but I lost the password and used a separate e-mail addy to keep it off my regular e-mail. Too much to remember for this 52yo brain!

I am on FB. But I don't do the games. I even block the ones like Mafia Wars. I like FB because I use it as a way to keep in the know about what is going on in the "quilty" world.

I don't blog. "If you keep quiet people may think you're smart, if you open your mouth you will remove all doubt."

vg

My picture is in FB. So why don't I have an avatar up here? Go figure.

I recently received a notice from a good quilter friend who said the FBI has a warning out to FB people that hijacker's are stealing their info and using it to contact the real FB accounts friends and asking for money!!

My friend was a victim of this crime and, even though she has closed here FB account, the hijacker is still able to access it!!

I checked snopes for any news on this and found there has nothing been reported as false.

You all might want to check this out. I signed up a week ago so I could view a fellow quilter's photos but closed the account 2 days later after being deluged with "friends"!! I'm with Shana..my life is already full enough without another thing that will take up my quilting time.

Shana - LOL!!!! You are SO funny!!!! :cool::P:cool::P

I just chat on the forum here, that takes up enough computer time for me...... I don't speak to ANY of my blood relatives and we don't speak to many of my husbands either (just Great-Grandma)... both very long sad stories......you can't choose the family you are born into. I like to pretend I was adopted by the wrong people....

I Love to chat with all of you though!!! :D

I did sign up on FB because relatives scattered all over the US kept hounding us about it. I really don't understand it and got a lot of friend requests from people I don't know. The relatives who were so anxious for us to join so that we could communicate don't seem to be using it now. (I don't know why we can't communicate by email or phone.) I spend enough time on the laptop checking in here and on a few blogs that I enjoy reading plus email so I really don't need another thing to take up valuable quilting time.

I use facebook. I like it because it is an easy avenue for me to keep up with my family and friends. I have also gotten in touch with long lost friends that I have missed and thought I would never get to talk to again. Pretty cool. I especially like it because the younger generation (my nieces and nephews) post on it like twitter and I am then able to keep my parents up to date on what is going on in the family. I do not play the games, however, and do not use their applications. I have always been aware that any content on facebook belongs to facebook so I am careful. But then also think I am being silly because really I don't have much to hide. I do use a different email address for facebook and will tell you I have never received any emails at this address. Alot of my friends use the applications and have never had any problems. I have to admit that I rarely post, I don't know why. Maybe I don't think what I am doing is interesting to others, or maybe I am lazy, but I do love reading about what everyone else is doing and thinking.

I would never blog. I have never been someone who likes to write or expose myself I guess. Though I do love reading other peoples blogs.

Archived