I'm out of control...

I have come to the realization that my hobby habit is out of control:o:o Anyone else have that problem? I not only have one hobby, but several...quilting (including paints, beads, dyes, quilting machine), knitting (how much yarn does one need), spinning(how many fleeces does one need?) and baking (how many different baking pans does one need? or decorating tubes for cakes?)

I am trying to pack my stuff for moving and it NEVER ends:P:o:P Egads!!! I need to make some serious decisions on what to keep and what to move.

What do you do with stuff you don't think you'll ever use? I give a lot of it away.It is hard to get rid of because that is money down the drain, but it doesn't pay to drown in it either!:

Help:o:o:o:

At our last quilt camp, I took yards of fabric (not quite sure why I loved some of it once) to camp and priced it at about 1/2 what I paid years ago, and you know what? There are people who haven't come to the realization that one doesn't need all that stuff. It all sold in the first 1/2 hour I was there, All of it sold. I made over $150, enough to pay for my camping weekend fees. I ironed the fabric and folded it nicely, labeled it with maker and cost. I had several pastel homespuns (I've never even liked homespuns but someone talked me into trying some). I ironed, folded into FQ's and tied with a bow. Who can resist a pretty package? That package was the fist thing to sell.

i can relate to your affliction, too. :)

I have so much fabric, thread, rulers, pantos, stencils, quilting books, quilting magazines, and ufo's. And more.

Then there is the knitting...boxes and boxes of yarn. Lots knitting books, crocheting books, hooks, needles, etc. I remember ordering this beautiful wool yarn from a local shop (The Tangled Web - cute name for a yarn shop). I paid extra to have it rush delivered. That was about 8 years ago. Guess what? I never so much as started that sweater!

Then I have these wood kits to make cutsie things that I was staining, painting, stenciling, etc. Things like tissue box covers, remote control caddies, post-It note paper holders (to match the tissue boxes, well...the list goes on and on there, too. I guess all the paints are dried out the the brushes are covered with dust...

Oh, then there's the embroidery stuff - hand embroidery and machine embroidery stuff.

I am truly out of control, too!!!!!

Cheryl, I totally understand.

Now is the time to just be real with yourself... a lot of this you will never touch or use again. Some of this stuff even though it's money spent (and yeah, it's just stuff) is to be decisive and Just LET IT GO. Donate to a charity, sell it by the "lot" on ebay ... give to a friend, whatever. Time to let go and move on. :)

I just gave away two of my longarm machined quilts that I probably worked on over a span of several months with countless hours on each... I just gave them to friends. Sure, I spent a lot of blood sweat and tears, and these quilts mean a lot to me...but something in my heart said to give them away. I just did the impulsive thing and did just that. Whew! It felt kinda strange, but good at the same time. I am OK with this. :)

I've been making very simple charity quilts for my Guild who gives them to charities. Unfortunately, a dozen or so quilts later, there is not even a dent in my stash.

Next I donated fabric to a friend who has a "sew-in" once a week at different friend's homes and they donate these quilts to charities, too.

I think my next idea is to cut fabric into "kits" and take them to my guild meeting to offer to members who want to quilt for charity, but don't have the huge stash that I have to draw from.

But...I keep buying more fabric!

Of course, if I was packing to move, I would re-evaluate what I was taking with me.

Good luck with your move, Cheryl.

I, too, have way too much crafting stuff. I have tons of fabric, thread, scissors, rotary cutters, rulers, patterns, and gadgets. There are bags of yarn and crochet cotton in the basement along with lots of crochet hooks and knitting needles. (I had some of my own and then when my DM passed away, I inherited hers.) I have many boxes of embroidery floss, cross stitch books, and cross stitch fabric. There are more boxes of paints, brushes, markers, and other art materials. I have tons of magazines and craft books, too.

Is there help for us?

Last year I started really cleaning and organizing "stuff", I realize I suffer from the same curse as many others in the family, I'm just a little neater about it, ie. I don't have barns, storage sheds, and basements full. I tried a new thing with just one of my collections, seems to work: I have about 1200 books, (not including crafts) I am going to reduce every year by 6%. Just choose the 6% I can live without. I donated and asked friends, and it's gone. I think I'll expand the program to the other areas of "stuff". Just picking it out in Jan. is a good exercise in watching it...(you do have to also take into account what you bought that year for this to work)

Why 6%?? well, if I did that I would be down to where I'd like to be when i'm 80, if I'm so lucky to live that long. If I don't, then at least my children will know I tried a little, less of the "old, junky" for them. It's not a huge number that makes me feel bad, and perhaps I'll end up with a little higher quality stuff to surround myself.

I do want to learn to sell on Ebay, stuff would go to someone who wanted it, especially the more hobby orientated. I have antique needlework things that would be nice in collections already started.

I think that like Shana, I'll try harder to let it go, grab some of the feel good feeling that makes creating very satisfying.:cool::cool: Pat

I am laughing at myself and everyone else.

Pat... giving away 6% had me rolling with laughter...1200 books...wow! But it is a great idea as long as you are not adding at a rate of 7%:P

Sandra...I am sure if you keep making charity quilts there will be a dent!:P:P someday:P:P:P You'll just have to make them faster!

I did clear out the swimsuit fabric that I made skating costumes for the girls 15 years ago...it is a start...but not enough of a dent. The funny part, that my DD just pointed out, is that it has traveled with me for 4 different moves and has stayed in the same plastic bin!

I have only 3 weeks to complete this task and don't know if that is enough time:o:P:o

We made a major move 2 years ago - I decided that I needed to get rid of stuff. I made many donations to my local quilt guild for charity quilts - projects I started and knew I would never touch again - a burden was lifted from my shoulders. Senior center benefited with craft supplies, etc. Taste changes over the years and you will never move backwards only forwards- so get rid of stuff and enjoy the move.

I made the decision a few years ago that I did not have time for all my hobbies (quilting, crochet, knitting, fingerweaving, woodwork etc.). So I picked one "QUILTING!" I have kept all my crochet hooks (as some were my mother's and grandmother's) and some basic supplies, but all the boxes and bags of yarn and crochet thread I donated to friends, nursing homes etc. until it was all gone!

But of course the quilting has taken over the 24' X 40' garage, but I still go through things and donate to new quilters, charity, quild etc. on a regular basis

Good luck with the move!!!

Sherry

Cheryl I know exactly how you feel. I move every 3 years or so and I am very in touch with how much quilting stuff I have. I also struggle with wanting stuff to go to the "right person" when I give it away. Not sure why but sometimes that makes the whole process take longer for me. Good luck with your move I know that you will love Wisconsin!

Michelle

For those of you looking for a place to donate, Karen Overton is gathering fabric for the guild on Galveston Island. A year after Hurricane Ike sees the Island still trying to recover. There was not as much publicity as there was and is for Katrina. Most of that is because the island as a part of the State of Texas and that is how we are, our attitude is that if your neighbor needs help, then don't wait to be asked, just go help. Use what you have, do what you can do, get busy and don't stand around a cry. All that said, progress is slow. There are still bue tarps on roofs, still insurance that hasn't paid, still people without homes but trying to rebuild their businesses. The Island guild is still, a year later, and at the end of another hurricane season, making quilts to give to those in need. Winter is coming, and yes, it does get cold here. Any donatione would be appreciated. The Island's only quilt shop is not back yet and we still don't know if or when our beloved Quilts By The Bay will return. If this sounds like a need you can help meet, please go to Karen's website where the information is noted on where to send donations. kwiltsandkaboodle.com

Cheryl,

I have moved myself several times. When I pack I pack in the following manner. Must have (need to complete becuase of customers, family promises, etc) All are marked with MH. Then the next is May need but not ready to depart with.( This is usually those items that I got fustrated with (UFOs.) Next is the Must sell/donate box. Sometimes I have found that what I want to sell does not move fast enough for the move itself and I need up donating anyways.

If you need up moving multiple times I find that the May Ned box eventually becomes the must sell/donate box. I usually find a church group that makes quilts for the needy to donate to. At one period of my life in 7 years we moved every 15 months. I told my DH that my goal is to get dust on the boxes and accumulate multiple boxes. So far we have stayed put in Canton for 2 years going on 3 years. I am looking for 20 years min...:P:P:P:P

Hope this helps.

Cheryl I do not have an answer either, but I can tell you I got rid of my knitting, beading, and bread making pans. My addiction now is fabric, and I cannot stop buying. I keep saying "no more" but I just can't help it. One of these days I will have the courage to say "NO" to more fabric.......(I tread the thought)

Denice,

Never say never...because you'll end up moving. I thought that moving to Virginia was my last move..hahaha...so I am hoping this is the last one, but I am never saying never moving again when I do I move:o

Monika,

I am doing well on the not buying fabric, but maybe that is because I have a 100 yard bolt of PFD fabric from Dharma Trading Co just waiting to be dyed.:o

It is truely a challenge for us "crafty" people to keep the supplies down to a manageable level. I have a strict rule of thumb that I know most folks will think is "no fun" but it works for me (and I am still alot of fun). I only do one project at a time, and I only buy stuff for the current project. I was'nt always this way, but about 5 years ago I left the "corporate world" by choice to regain my sanity, slow down the train and be a stay at home nana for my precious GS. It took alot of doing to rebudget with only DH's income but 5 years later it has worked out well. So now being an extreem "frugleesta" so I can stay in retirement and have time to do the things I love with the people I love, I don't buy things that I don't use.

I only have one tub of fabric!! T'is a gift to be simple, a gift to myself.

Archived