Feathers 101

Hi all. I've had Sherry Rogers Feathers 101 book for about a month and have been practicing here and there when time permits. This is the first quilt I've done with formal feathers and I was pleased with the results.

The pictures are of the back of the quilt because they came out better than the front. The first one is the center medallion and the second one is the borders of the quilt.

Debbi

post--13461897863008_thumb.jpg

I loved your beautiful work. I was wondering did you mark this? I was also curious as to how much you charged for this wonderful work. I'm not sure if that's a rude question but I'm new and I wonder about all of these things. Again what a wonderful job so well planned and executed. I'm in total awe. Cheryll

Cheryl,

I was wondering did you mark this?

Yes and no. I use blue markers for all of the marking I did. For the wreath in the middle I marked the containment lines and did the rest freehand. The feathers in the triangles were marked because I wasn't as confident that I could do them without marking. For the feathers in the borders, I put tic marks at the top and bottom of each wave. The tic marks were used as guidelines to stich the vein of the feather. The rest of the border was freehand.

I was also curious as to how much you charged for this wonderful work.

The customer did not want to pay custom quilting prices for the entire quilt. She let me custom quilt the medallion in the middle of the quilt and the borders. The rest of the quilt was just stippling. I calculated the size of the entire quilt in sq inches. Measuered the center medallion in sq inches and the borders in sq inches. I charged her .015 per sq inch for the medallion and borders and .01 per sq inch for the remainder of the quilt (total size - medallion size - border size). She was very happy with the price. Although the quilt could have been much nicer if she let me custom quilt the entire quilt!!

Debbi

To bad the photos didn't turn out of the front - I am curious what it looked

like - beautiful I think - since the back is so nice!

I have that book too, and have been playing with it. I have one loaded now

that I am going to to feather wreaths on and large meander around the

outside border. Hope mine turns out as nice as yours!

Thanks for sharing the photo - hope to see more of your work!

Archived