Quilt batting

Greetings from winterland Canada, hopefully this is only temporary. (so I am a dreamer LOL :) )

Looking at wool batting, yes we are going to need it! Have 80/20 cotton/poly (its needle punched), just not warm enuf for kids winter quilts. Wool/cotton a good combo? (same care?) If so, where can a Canadian source wool at a wholesale price? Love bamboo but is kind of pricy, maybe wool is the same. Or has anyone used double cotton? Does that get heavy...looking for more fluffy and light?

(Tried Joanne's in Grand Forks and they don't carry wool.)

Thanks everyone and happy quilting.

Margaret

Margaret,

While I don't know all of the locales where you can get batting in Canada (perhaps a few of our northern reps will be able to guide you), I can offer some general observations about batting:

[*] If you want warmth, then polyester batting is the first choice. It tends to trap body heat and reflect it back. It can also feel very "fluffy" and will be light weight.

[*] Some people like to feel "weight" on top of them when they sleep (I'm one of them:)). You can certainly double-layer any batting together. For example, you can put a layer of cotton together with polyester (cotton on bottom, poly on top) to give you both warmth AND weight.

[*] You can also double-layer cotton batting, but its weight will depend on the brand. For example, two layers of Warm and Natural will feel very heavy, like sleeping under a door. However, two layers of Quilters' Dream Select won't feel much different from one layer.

[*] Cotton batting "breathes" more than polyester, so if someone is prone to hot flashes or sweating :) then cotton can provide a chance for evaporation to take place much faster than polyester.

[*] as for the wool, it also depends on the company in terms of loft, weight, and price. It will be more expensive than traditional cotton. Quilter's Dream Wool and Hobbs Wool are two products that feel very airy and light. Many quilters will use this product over another batting merely to provide texture and dimension to the quilting without adding bulk or stiffness.

Hope this helps!

I just used QD wool over Hobbs 80/20. It is a king and therefore heavy to begin with. The finished product seems no heavier than than my king quilt with only Hobbs 80/20 and I know that Hobbs 80/20 softens with each wash but yet maintains it's body. I love using QD wool because it is so light and airy. I added the Hobbs for this quilt for added stitch definition and so the quilt would lay perfectly flat - accomplished on both fronts! .... Yeah!! I think if I were to do this again, I would either use QD Poly request (thinnest) or QD new Orient (combo batt). Would not use with 100% cotton because the wool and 100% cotton shrink at such different rates!!! QD wool does not shrink and Hobbs 80/20 only a little. I have used 2 batts many times and been very happy with end result.

I have been using 3M Thinsulate for years. I have some that they sent that is thicker than I have used before. I have 2 more rolls to use. You are welcome to use that. It is 60 inches wide with 30 yards on a roll. I would be happy to ship some to you if you would like it.

I'm in southeastern Minnesota, and we use wood pellet heat, so there are times that our home really needs good quilt use. The thinsulate is a very nice bed weight, it has never been so heavy that it breaks your toes off when laying on your back (I've had one of those quilts), it provides the "I am covered" weight, but not weighted down feeling and stays warm and comfy. It is completely machine wash and dryable and doesn't need close quilting.

I made a cotton batted quilt for my daughter for college and she prefers the Thinsulate, the cotton was heavier and didn't drape as well as the Thinsulate one.

U2 me if you are interested. I would be glad to have these rolls used up, I'm ready to get more of my regular thickness batting.

Newbie question.... if you use two layers of batting do you need to raise the hopping foot?? how do you know when to raise the hopping foot, and how much to raise it?

and do any of my fellow Canadians out there have an online source for Quilter's Dream Puff? (retail....I don't have a business license) I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Originally posted by DawnCavanaugh

[*] You can also double-layer cotton batting, but its weight will depend on the brand. For example, two layers of Warm and Natural will feel very heavy, like sleeping under a door. However, two layers of Quilters' Dream Select won't feel much different from one layer.

This is so true. I finished a quilt last week that had QD cotton select. When I took it off the machine, it just puddled into my arms. I thought, "That's why I LOVE Quilters Dream Cotton." In contrast, I did one with warm and natural and when it came off the machine, it folded nicely--much like a road map, but didn't have that smooshy puddly feeling.

As far as warmth, the polyester is said to be 1 1/2 times warmer than down. I've used two cotton batting quilts in the winter and still it's not warm enough for me. I have one with two batts, cotton, and black poly, and the backing is flannel. Now, that's a warm quilt, and HEAVY.

I order directly from QD. Haven't used the wool for personal use yet, but I love the way it quilts.

Note: I do not have to adjust the hopping foot to quilt multiple layers.

I am in north western Canada too and I buy my batting by the roll from NJ Harper in Montreal. The price is good and the more you buy the cheaper the freight. I got 7 rolls of Quilter's Dream in various forms including the new absolutely gorgeous Quilter's Dream Orient, for $1763.00 shipping and taxes included. I supply most of my Quilters with batting so I keep a variety on hand.

As far as wool batting is concerned, I put it between 2 pieces of backing, quilted it, washed it, and use it on my bed all year round. It is cool in the summer and warm in winter, although I have Quilt on my bed for the winter months as well. I couldn't handle the weight of a duvet anymore on a king size bed and went with the above. We are very pleased.

As I mentioned I got 7 rolls of batting for that price, which for us here in Canada is a good price since we don't manufacture batting here. Everything is imported, hence everything is just about twice the cost you get your batting for in the US. I can get a roll of 80/20 from Texas for $80.00 and shipping will be $57.00 plus I pay import duty when it gets here, so I might as well buy it all rolled into one price from a Canadian distributor.

Thanks Monika. Do you know if NJ Harper sells retail? I found their website, but it doesn't say if it's for retail or wholesale. I know you have a business (I don't).... just curious. I am able to get to Minot, ND a few times during the year, and found one quilt shop that carries some QD products... but when I asked for Dream Puff, the lady that was there that day didn't know what I was talking about. I would be happy to find a supplier in Canada

This is a great topic - QD is always loved - but is interesting to see what our individual likes and dislikes are when it comes to our personal preferences of weight and cuddle factor. I love weight as long as it cuddles - I have even washed a couple of quilts more than once right off the bat just to make softer! I also love to be warm! I found Hobbs 80/20 and or plain cotton just left me cold - Have 3M Thinsulate in a couple of quits - just not enough there for my tastes - might use it as a second batting, but not alone. Guess that is why it is so important to ask and get to know your customers!!

Sharon, I don't have a business so to speak either and I buy at distributor prices, half of what it costs in a QuiltStore. My Dream Wool cost $356.00 for 30 yards or $27.4 m, that averages out to $13.00/m compared to $24.00 at the LQS. I can still give my customers a good price and make a dollar myself. Oh, all those prices are Canadian dollar by the way, not US dollars so the exchange does not figure in either, another consideration when ordering from the US.

I wish I had the room and the business I would become a Canadian distributor for Hobbs out of Texas. But.....since I have discovered the Quilter's Dream products, they have my vote hands down for a few pennies more, really.

Thanks again Monika! That's great. I will definitely be ordering from them. I just need to get a few quilts under my belt and decide which types of QD I would use the most. I do have a couple of different packaged bags of QD I want to test. I do know that from what little of the different brands I have used so far, Quilter's Dream was by far my favorite. Thanks so much!

Dawn, thanks for the info, am keeping that on file. Yes, I do NEED cotton. Thanks for the offer of Thinsulate Madelyn. A few years back I made parkas for my guys lined with thinsulate. They prefer the down, saving me the job of making more, that much more time for quilting :D I think the quilt I am working on is going to be like Boni's "door". Am going to look into NJ Harper, thanks Monika. Both you and Meg mention the QD new Orient (combo batt), sounds like something I could use. Now that I have a machine I should be able to make both summer and winter quilts, LOL. Is the QD fluffier than the Warm and Natural? The WN quilts nice (but what would I know, its my first half decent sized quilt!!!!!!!!!!) but feels like there will be no drape at all.

Maybe my dreaming is paying off, it is warming up, slightly, the roads are clear and the forecast is for 11 by the week end. Maybe we will finish combinig after all.

Happy quiilting all. Thanks for the help. :):):):):)

Margaret

Hi. I get most of my Hobbs batting from George Courey in Montreal. His prices are great and shipping is very reasonable to Ontario ($12 a bolt, less if buying more than 1 bolt). However, they don't carry Hobbs wool yet (but I'm going to push for this :D. I don't know what their retail prices are though, or if they sell retail. I also use JN Harper in Montreal for Quilters Dream and I also asked about the Dream Puff. They told me it is special order, but they will be carrying it soon. I plan to buy a bolt when they do. I just ordered a bolt of Hobbs wool from Kingsmen Quilting in the U.S.. They offer wholesale prices to everybody, but shipping is about $40. However, the Canadian dollar is pretty good right now, so the Hobbs at $156 per bolt plus $40 shipping seems pretty good. I haven't received it yet so I'm not sure how much Customs is going to ding me.

I buy Hobbs products from Contemporary Sewing Materials Ltd. out of Richmond BC. Their website is www.csm.ca. Call their 800 number if you have questions about pricing and such.

Not affiliated, just a happy customer.

They also carry Tuscany products...have just ordered a throw size to try. Looks promising.

Hope this helps.

Lynda in

Golden BC

I just discovered that amazon.com sell QD batting. They have QD wool 93x25yards for $204.99 including shipping. I don't have a business license so that seems like a good price to me, at least the best I have found so far. I don't know if that is of any help to those of you in Canada. Perhaps QD is available on the Canadian amazon.com and you could avoid customs duty.

Sue

Unfortunately the only thing "Quilt" available to us Canadians through Amazon.com is books. I have also inquired at CMS in B.C. and one needs a registered business number to get batting from them. I have tried just about all the sources in Canada and found NJ Harper to be the most reasonable. I wish I lived in Ontario, so much more is available there to the Quilter and most within driving distance. Those of us in remoter areas of the country have to content with paying enormous amounts of freight, be it by truck freight or Post Office.

Thanks for all your info Monika, I have found this thread very helpful as I am in the same boat as you being in northern Manitoba, shipping is so expensive. I haven't carried my own batting for customers yet because of this. But i think I'll look in NJ Harper as my customers would like me to carry batting since we no longer have a fabric shop here.

A question for you Monika...I do have a business number and license so do you think CMS in B.C. might be a good option for me? I"m thinking Vancouver is a bit closer than Montreal for shipping.

I think i have a lot of research ahead of me.

Thanks for all the info ladies, I'm adding this thread to my favorites.

Hello Kathy. Yes you should be able to get your batting from CMS in B.C with your business credentials as they sell wholesale. However, some of these places want you to have a "storefront" and set business hours. That is why I go buy from NJ Harper, no questions asked, I get great service, prompt shipments, and a terrific product. Let me know how you make out.

ps. Manitoba is just about half way, but I believe CMS ships a roll for $25.00, about the same as Harper.

Monika thanks for the info for JN Harper. Do you deal with Wm Gardner Agencies? They refused my e-mail!!!!!! Would like the no questions asked, am just hobby but maybe someday in the far away future will do some custom work to help support my habit LOL.

Tried a u2u but it kept saying, "error, empty". I know that is newbie syndrome, but right now I just want to quilt, no more leaning computer stuff.

Is that thanksgiving dinner all eaten???? Almost drove over!!!!

Archived