Hi everyone, I am new to using rulers/templates and would really like to be able to do this technique. So my questions is...What's the trick? You can't hold them down because then your machine won't move. How do you keep them from slipping? I'm sure it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice...but you have any suggestions, tips, tricks please let me know. Thanks!:o

Definitely need grips underneath. I find that I have to remember to hold it firmly but not have a death grip. I keep the ruler in place and just move the machine. I try to keep my pressure on the ruler where the foot is. I scoot my hand but don't move the ruler, kind of like you do when you are suing a rotary cutter. I also use the control/blue to stop the machine in SR mode and then move the ruler, then control/blue again and keep going. I didn't learn that trick for a long time and it makes such a difference.

Hi Julia

I love to work with rulers and do very often. I spray all my rulers with embrodiery adhesive. Let dry...less than a minute.

You are right. You can't press down, What you need to think about is how to hold the ruller/template.I keep my fingers spread out as best I can and always try to have my thumb or at least one finger over an edge. That helps to keep the ruler from shifting.

let's say you are doing circle....Start at one point...I usually start at 9 o'clock, (I'm right handed so I'm holding the ruller with my left hand) my fingers are spread out with my thumb in the 4:30 positionand over the edge of the ruler. I begin sewing with SR on and go to 12:00 o'clock,,,STOP with needle down and shift your hand, continue othe ruler to. 6:00. STOP and shift your hand for the last time....in this position you do need to use a finger, as well as your thumb over the edge.

What you want to remember is a light hand, just stablize against the hopping foot using those edges. Don't push to hard. You will get better and better with that dreaded word........practice

Hope I made sense to you......try it out with out turning on your machine.

Originally posted by hmerrill

I scoot my hand but don't move the ruler, kind of like you do when you are suing a rotary cutter.

Heidi, I'd like to sue a rotary cutter - the one that I drove over the index finger on my left hand. How much do you think I could get for the pain, suffering, and lost quilting time? :P:P:P

I never thought of putting the sandpaper dots, spray adhesive, or anything else on my templates. Heavens, I use the dots on all of my quilting rulers and it sure makes sense to do it! I've got to buy more sandpaper dots.....

Heidi, I'd like to sue a rotary cutter - the one that I drove over the index finger on my left hand. How much do you think I could get for the pain, suffering, and lost quilting time? :P:P:P

Oh if you are going to do that it will have to be a class action lawsuite! LOL you aren't alone!

By the way Donita Reeves has some clear sandpaper strips that work fantastically!

Archived