Batting preferences

Guest Linda S

Check the supplies link on the APQS page - they sell big bales of Hobbs 80/20 cotton/polyester. If it were bad for the machine, I don't think they would do that. I'm fairly certain you can use any sort of batting except the sort that pulls apart too easily -- and, you might want to steer clear of stuff that is so puffy you'd have trouble gliding your machine over it. Otherwise, I think you're good to go.

:D

Linda

Having recently watched, rewatched and reading of the manual several times, I remember seeing we can add washers to the roller bar if puffy bating is going to be used. This helps lift the bar up higher and a smoother roll to the thickness.

Nancy

My favorite batting is the Hobbs Heirloom 80/20. I have used the fat poly batting for trapunto, Warm & Natural and pretty much everything in between. The only battings I do not like are the poor quality batts that fall apart with the slightest tugging.

My machine seems pretty happy with whatever I feed it.

I encouraged my clients to send their own batting, but do stock my favorites also. So I have quilted on almost any kind of batting that you can think of and I haven't had a problem, other than learning to adjust my tension correctly for the very thin Thermore batting. There are some I like more than others. The ones that I don't like are clingy, and uneven in there thickness or vary widely in size from one end to the other. Mostly the really cheap battings that are found at discount stores. I've even come acrossed what should be the same brand and style and it definitely isn't. When I ask the client where they got their batting from they almost always tell me a discount store if it is crappy and from a quilt store or from the manufacturer directly if the batting is good. Without mentioning any names, I know that there is one manufacturer out there that must make different grades for its various outlets and it is really noticable. This use to be one of my favorite manufactures but these inconsistencies have made me wary of recommending them to clients, so I stick to a couple of my favorite manufactures - The Warm Co and Quilter's Dream are my favorites right now.

Archived