Moxies

Ok so what did I learn at our last Moxie meeting. From Linda I learned a new way to accurately pin your quilt top to the backing and batting. Linda very cool, I used it on a customer quilt and it rocks. From Pattyjo I ordered the binding thingy for perfect mitered binding... From Jin the secret to using pantos (thanks Jim). Melora shared some vintage quilt blocks she got for a song (I'm so jealous) that were just wonderful. I learn something new everytime I work on a quilt. Oh and I have news!!! I finally have a foot in the door with a local quilt shop. It took a year but she finally sent me a customer. So Ladies and gents have a great and busy holiday season.

Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

Have a bunch of pics to post, will do it very soon...

Originally posted by meg_marsh

And Linda - for those of us who could not come to the meeting - what is the cool, accurate way you pin your quilt top to the backing and batting????

Hi Meg,

I load the backer, lay the batting on top (I don't stitch it down) and then float the top. To make sure the top is straight on the backer, use your horizontal channel lock and the edge of the hopping foot. Find the major first seam line which can be either the outside border seam line, or the seam line between the pieced center and the first border--if there are multiple borders. This is the seam you want to be straight--so engage the channel lock and run the hopping foot (no stitching--just use the foot as a guide) all along the seam and adjust the top so the seam is straight.

I pin/pin/pin all along the seam, smooth the border(s) and pin at the outside edge, and then remove the pins on the seam. Now the top is straight.

This especially helps with tops with wavy borders--you use a seam line instead of the edge of the quilt to get it straight on the backer.

This method of checking for straight/horizontal can be used all down the quilt top to control any wonky piecing--like if one side starts to migrate south! Check with each advance, and pin straight so the piecing can be corrected at each advance instead of at the bottom.

I hope this helps--I am sure this method was shared here by someone else at one time. It works for me!:D

January 9 at Melora's

and I learned a lot too, one of the best was Bonnie gives great hugs and is more wonderful in person than on the chat.

you can go to FD and not spend money

I used your method Linda and it worked wonderfully on the last two quilts. thank you very much

our group just gets more special with every passing month and meeting.

Nora your home is wonderful and you were a terrific hostess. thank you so much for having us.

Archived