Rotating crosshatch tool

I posted pictures of a log cabin quilt that I made that had radiating hatching and mentioned that DH had made a rotating crosshatch tool for me to use to do the stitching. Several of you have asked about it and when I asked DH if he was interested in making them his answer was "no." The tool that he made for me does have some shortcomings: The screw constantly needs to be tightened and it did not do the tighter, more horizontal angles, however he said he could have made the end smaller which would have allowed the tighter angles. I'm posting a picture of the hatching on the quilt if you haven't seen it, and also a picture of the tool. Perhaps Linda Rech can talk Dennis into perfecting the tool. :D DH spent several hours working on this for me, in addition to a trip to the hardware store :) What a sweetie!

DH cut two rulers. The shorter one did the angles that were more vertical and the longer one for the more horizontal angles. I hope that makes sense. I don't have a quilt on the frame right now so I hope this picture is good enough.

A portion of the quilt with the radiating hatching:

2372391400105196958S425x425Q85.jpg

A picture of the tool:

2736501240105196958S425x425Q85.jpg

Aaahhhhhhaaaa...everyone's creative juices are flowing. That looks like a great tool with lots of potential....wavy lines, too, as the ruler part could be interchangeable at that screw. One clamp on piece and unscrew a ruler and attach another. Hummm..lots of minds to offer suggestions.

Run with it, Dennis & Linda. :)

It is kind of like the ruler from Westalee that QR carries but much better. The blades are interchangable on the Westalee and is held secure by using two screws instead of one.

They do offer several different blades. Theirs does not fit around the rail so it won't stay put like Linda and Dennis'.

I have both and love Dennis' the most. More blade options would be fun.

• 4 months later...

I'm sorry, ladies, I asked DH again if he would make some of these rulers and his answer is still no. Perhaps if you sent a pleading request to Linda and Dennis they might consider it. I can tell you the part that fits over the levelor bar is PVC, DH had to counter sink the screw coming up from the bottom of the acrylic piece attached to the PVC so there is no drag on the quilt, and he used 2 stage epoxy to glue the acrylic and PVC. As I mentioned previously, it isn't perfect and I had to continually tighten the nut so the ruler didn't rotate while I was using it. That's about it, nothing high tech about it but you just have to find someone that can or will make it for you or be able to do it yourself. I can't - that's why I have DH :P

Archived