george - stitch regulator?

Hi! I'm new to this wonderful world of quilting and have lots of questions!! I see that some of the long arm machines have stitch regulators. Does George have this as well? I'm trying to learn free motion quilting and it's very tricky to get the movement down.

I was hoping that George could solve my problem!

Hi livismom,

At this time George is non stitch regulated. It does come standard with a automatic needle positioner that will stop needle up or down and a one stitch button to pull the bobbin thread up and tack your stitches and a foot pedal to run the machine. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Take care,

Hi,

George DOES have a speed regulator, however, which goes a long way towards even stitch lengths. It goes from 1 to 10 and after setting it, it's sort of like a cruise control. You push the pedal all the way down and it only goes to a certain speed---slower, of course, but not faster. This is great when you are using threads that like to be sewn slower, such as metallics and monofilaments. It's sometimes hard to keep an even, slow, speed.

I understand that the guys are working on a stitch regulator, and when it is available, will be retro-fittable. Not everybody wants one, so no need to up the price of the machine for a feature that only some want.

• 3 months later...

Hi Mark and all,

I have a few questions about George.

But before I do, I've seen the Tracy's Tables and have got to say I recognized George's table right off. Those tables are just lovely, sturdy, well built, square, smooth and pretty.

:)

1) George is listed as a minimum of 200 SPM.. is this really as slow as it will go? Sometime I want to go VERY VERY SLOW... 100 or even 75 stitches per minute.

2) Is there a 'speed limiter' this would function to set the Maximum top speed... at X. IF SO, can X equal 300 or 400 or 500 SPM?

3) Mark, you said there is a Button for the ONE STITCH... if the needle positioner is 'down' and you touch the ONE STITCH..

a) does it LIFT the needle to the top... and stop?

or

B) does it do a complete needle cycle... up then down, then up again?

4) Mark, you said there is a Button for the ONE STITCH... if the needle positioner is 'up' and you touch the ONE STITCH..

a) does it drop the needle the needle into the quilt - and stop.

or

B) does it do a complete needle cycle... down, up then down again?

5) Am I correct in assuming the 2 stage needle positioner.. all it does is SET where the needle WILL STOP the NEXT TIME I stop quilting?

6) Where are the buttons for the ONE STITCH and the 2 stage needle positioner located on the machine?

Thank you for your time. George looks pretty cool....

Jane in Austin.

Hi Jane,

Great questions! George does have a speed limit setting. You can set the limit dial for very slow or to a max speed. George has a foot pedal just like your domestic machine. The limit dial sets the max speed for your foot pedal so you can still push the pedal all the way down and not have to hold up on it for a slow speed. George also comes with the Automatic 2 stage needle positioner. The button is right infront of where you sit, or on the side of the machine. This will set how the machine positions, up or down. And then you can use it as a one stitch to pull the bobbin threads up and tack the stitch. But it only does a half stitch, not a full stitch. When you let off of the foot pedal all of the way, that will automatically shut the machine off and position the needle for you. When you push the pedal again it will start to sew. Hope this explains your questions. If you have more, feel free to call me at 800-426-7233 ext.6 or email me at mcaraher@apqs.com

Take care,

Hi Mark, thanks for your reply,

I guess I'm going to clarify a couple of questions.

1) George is listed as a minimum of 200 SPM..

a) is this really as slow as it will go? ___________

B) if it will go slower is the foot peddle as responsive as say my bernina...

on my bernina.. I can lightly press the foot peddle and the machine will make ONE STITCH...

{{COMMENTS: By alternately pressing lightly and lifting my foot.. I can make the machine create ONE STITCH at a TIME.

Sewing SLOWLY while you are sitting at a machine (like George) is way more important than sewing fast say 600 SPM. STITCH CONTROL is where it's at.}}

----------------------------

Mark you wrote ' The button is right infront of where you sit, or on the side of the machine.'

2)If I'm reading what you wrote correctly " This will set how the machine positions, up or down. And then you can use it as a one stitch to pull the bobbin threads up and tack the stitch. But it only does a half stitch, not a full stitch. When you let off of the foot pedal all of the way, that will automatically shut the machine off and position the needle for you."

a) Needle positioner - setting where the needle stops - next time.

B) A 1/2 stitch... makes needle go up or down - opposite of where it's AT now.

I really LIKE the 1/2 stitch function... :D

Is my understanding, as in 2 a and 2 b correct? _____________

and

3. Mark you wrote ' The button is right infront of where you sit, or on the side of the machine.'

Would you clarify where the button is... is it close to the needle end.. or is it on the upright part of the machine as it attaches to the bed?

I guess it would describe best if you could measure HORIZONTALLY... from the needle to the button...

Thanks for your time...can you tell I'm a detail person?

Jane in Austin. ;)

Hi again Jane,

I went and spoke to our Engineer about that one. And the 200 SPM is wrong. It will go clear down to 0 if you want it to. You are correct about the foot pedal and about how the one stitch works. The location of the one stitch is on the machine right in front of you. Not real close to the needle, but on the side of the top cover. Easy access to reach up and hit the button directly in front of you. And yes, I can tell you are a detailed person. :) There is nothing wrong with having all of your ducks in a row!

Later,

Thanks again Mark.. well it's official.. with your answers I've GOT to see George.

Sit down quilting has way different needs than frame quilting (I do both) so I wanted to be sure I understood.

Quack Quack Quack :P:D:P:D

I'll likely be seeing george in Houston... I'm suggesting you bring 3 or 4... GRINNNN..

Jane in Austin.

• 3 years later...

I had asked about the stitch regulator when I joined as a 2nd machine while I wait for my milli once it's computerized & was told it would never have one b/c it's in the way for experienced free-motioners. Now it's seems one is in the works but will it be user-friendly to a quilter who runs a Viking Diamond b/c it can be done so entirely by buttons? I have rippling disabilities controlling my legs/feet & at times my hands b/c of the numbness & nerve damage from T-l2 to S-1 breaKs in my lower back, which is from 13yrs ago & progressive. With this George stitch regolator will I be able to run it somehow?...by button or knee presser bar?

Archived