Oil on quilt top

• 1 month later...

I don't know if the product I'm suggesting is still available in stores or not. It's so good we hoard ours.

It's called Grease Relief,, made by Dow Brands, and is in a red bottle in the laundry section of the grocery store. [i just googled it and found a university extension article that includes it as a heavy-duty detergent like Whisk so maybe soaking in Whisk etc would be similar....?] It will take out almost every kind of grease except that yellow stuff that's in the inside of your washing machine. My husband swears by it as much as I do. I don't think I've ever had a normal grease stain (even bicycle chain grease) that it wouldn't remove. You can spray it and let the fabric sit for a bit before laundering. I've never had it damage any fabric.

OK I've found more about Dow Brands and why Grease Relief is probably only a memory. Here's a new blurb from 1998: "S.C. Johnson & Son Inc. has completed its purchase of the assets of DowBrands Inc., a subsidiary of the Dow Chemical Co., Midland, Mich. The acquisition gives Racine-based S.C. Johnson a line of plastic bags and wraps and adds to the company's existing home-cleaning lines. In December, S.C. Johnson said it would divest itself of four Dow brands in markets that the company already had competing products in." So maybe S C Johnson has something they think is comparable? We can only hope.

Archived