New Quilter----New Millennium

Hello Everyone,

My Millie arrived yesterday; I?m excited about getting started and have a few questions:

1. Should I go to somewhere like Wal-Mart to purchase practice fabric and batting to gain experience on my machine?

2. I already have someone wanting me to finish her quilt for her and I said I would be ready the last part of July to do so, since I'm attending class in De Moines, July 10th and 11th. Was that a good thing to do?

I'm new with the long arm quilting and have started up my own business; Quilted Treasure's By Pat, I?m excited and scared all at the same time.

As I go, I know that I will have many questions and really appreciate suggestions.

I bought cheap quilts off ebay and back them with muslin from joanns then I donate them to the local shelters. I like using theses quilts because they are going to be more like your customers quilts I bought several different designs like a lone star, tripple irish chain, some applique ones. they cost me about 25.00 each

or you can keep them to show customers

other have suggested cheater cloth, which works good.

Congratulations on both your Millie and your new business. As a old lady that wants to start her own business too, I applaud your courage to go forward. I think that Susan's idea of purchasing cheap quilts is a good one, but also getting some panel fabric from JoAnne's or Wal-Mart and doing some borders around them and then quilting those and donating them to local shelters and fire stations is a good way to learn to quilt borders and freehand around designs.

Bekah

PS I like the name of your business

Congratulations Happy Mountain Mom:

From one Millie owner to another. You will love her!!

Muslin works great as practice fabric too. I purchase it by the bolt when Jo-Ann's Fabrics are having 50% off sales. I would suggest the 90" or 108", something wide, then practice doing all over designs and then mark off some blocks - 8" or 10" and start practicing fill ins or motifs. Practice, Practice, Practice and confidence is the key!! Oh, and search these message boards when you are in a pickle - they are so helpful. If you don't find what you are looking for, just post a question, scream, whatever, and we will come running - or typing;)

The classes will be a huge help.

Happy Quilting,

Mary Beth

Cynthia what a great idea!! I used to babysit my daugther's dog and she loved my practice quilts. I would not have thought about being able to do small projects to practice on and still being able to give them a use.

I practiced on some old fabric I had for a back and muslin for a top. It helped to be able to see my stitching clearly on a plain fabric. It also let the kids have a go at it .

Try your local project Linus and ask if you can do some quilting for them. They are generally small lap quilts and don't have to be perfect.

Have Fun!!!!

Archived