do you ever not charge a customer?

The quilt looks great. You are expecting to be perfect and you and I are not ready for perfection yet. I have not "discounted" anyone but I'll tell you what I did do that was positive. One lady brought me 3 quilts with no deallines and no "instructions" and had never even seen any of my work. I quilted the first 2 and had her pick them up. Then on the last one I quilted out a much more difficult pattern for her as a thank you. I wrote it on her bill that I had given her a surprise "thank you." She has told everybody how much she loves what I did. You might try that sometimes.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Anni,

As a new quilter myself I think this is very nicely done. I would be thrilled if it was my quilt. A fresh look always helps,the quilting is usuallymmuch better the next day & in a month you will see the quilt finished & IT WILL BE GORGEOUS. Continue to be positive and upbeat and your friend will love it.:D

Heather

I've been doing this for six years off and on and most of the time I don't like what I've done until I see it the next day!! I don't know why but I always sleep on any quilting I've done until the next day. So far everything looks way better after a good night's sleep. (or even a bad one) your quilting was wonderful and I seriously could not see anything wonky in your detail shot. when I first started I gave my best friend (1st customer) a rookie discount. Enjoy your machine you do great work-dale

Annie,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's a good tale for all of us who are new or relatively new to quilting - especially for pay.

I know that my knees still knock when I'm working on a quilt pieced by someone else. I have a friend who does immaculate piecing. I get nervous when I work on her stuff. Then I have to remind myself that she is letting me work on her stuff because with three children, she will NEVER get her backlog of tops quilted without help.

Lynn

• 4 months later...

It looks fine to me also, and I sure she will be happy with the quilting. To keep the quilt square, I stitch around the top, sides and bottom along with any blocks and sashings to secure the quilt top and keep it square. That works well most of the time. Also pinning it helps, but I like stitching.

• 8 months later...

Remember the quilt is about her not about you. If you discussed the quilting design with her and the thread colors (which I prefer to do) be excited when you call her to tell her its finished. Let her know how well the thread color and quilting design SHE decided on compliments the quilt. Then when she picks it up don't just hand it to her. Be upbeat and stage the pickup as a presentation. I lay mine out over a couch with good lighting turning under the excess batting and batting so it has a finished look. Then when they come in the door TA DAH there is their beautiful finished quilt.

I am just starting out and never think they are good enough. But I love to see the excitement on their faces when they see it and think I did that and can't wait to get it home and get the binding on. So far everyone has been thrilled.

I found as a new quilter itwas well worth my time to really examine other people's quilts and the quilting on them, at fairs, quilt shows, etc. It is an eye-opener -- most quilts have points that do not meet, seams that are a bit crooked, a little tuck here and there. And examination of the quilting shows SID that wavers a bit, maybe an overlapping feather, etc. All made by fellow humans and all not quite perfect in every detail, but all beautiful and all just fine! So we should not be so hard on ourselves, none of us are perfect! And it is ok!

Archived