I'm the new Lenni owner that was ready to bust her out of the warehouse last week. Received her this past Thursday, hubby had her set up before I got home from work (only a couple of hours) BUT only 5 of 6 boxes made it, I wasn't enlightened enough to post. Sorry. Shipper doesn't know where it is and may be sometime this week before we know. But, I am excited that I got some play time on her today finally. I have thread issues though. I bought some Coats and Clark to use for practice and Lenni does NOT like it. No matter how the tension is done on the top. Bobbin thread is fine.

Does anyone use Signature Thread? What are the differences between Signature and Superior brands? Big price difference! Any other recommendations?

Adjust your bobbin tension to be slightly looser than the top, then adjust the top accordingly. Shana can describe it much better than I.

Congrats on being a new owner, welcome to the board, and be sure to relax and to breathe.

Hope the part is found and delivered soon.

ritaR in Sanford, NC

I have used Signature but am not home and not sure if it is the poly or cotton. Also use Superior and like the So Fine, Lava and Rainbows for top and use Bottom Line for bobbin. All of these threads stitched very well. The King Tut is very nice but I've had a few tension issues with it. And I've used the Permacore poly just once and had no problem with it. I don't buy Coats threads, not even for piecing, so can't comment on the brand.

Hi,

I do not like to use Coats thread because it breaks a lot even when I used to quilt with DSM, I think it is weak thread. I prefer some Superior threads like So Fine and Bottom line for bobbin and texture quilting, I like Signature when I need cotton thread and Permacore is ok, reliable and cheaper.

Corey

Some people are "cotton purists" and will only use cotton thread, no matter what. Which is okay, if that's what you like. Others won't use cotton because of the lint factor. But if you use a good quality cotton, the lint is much less of a problem.

Coates and Clark thread is very weak and linty, I find, and I don't like to use it even in my DSM. My favorite threads are So Fine, King Tut, and Rainbows (which I find can be a little bit finicky in the tension department, but has beautiful colors and sheen!!). I also like the Signature cotton, and I have a lot of the Maxi-Lock and Swirls cones, too (which are more linty, but the colors and price are right).

For me, it depends on what I've got in the color I need. I try to use the same on top and bottom; cotton top and bottom, or poly top and bottom. That isn't a hard and fast rule for me though, just a guideline.

My motto is: "If it works, and it looks good, then it's okay!" I haven't had any experiences (yet!) that make me change that opinion, but I'm learning every day, so I try to keep an open mind! ;)

You honestly can use any thread you can get your machine to eat....linty threads to non-linty threads. You just need to blow out your bobbin area more often than some others...I use a ton of "Sewers Aid" on linty threads...it cuts the lint down.

Signature, YLI, Coats and Clark DSM threads and Perma Core, were my very favorite threads for years and years, mainly because we couldn't get any others...so fiddle with your tention, top and bobbin and you can get any thread to go through your Lenni. That's one of the great things about an APQS machine, they don't have problems with threads, its just us getting it tweeked right.

Originally posted by Carol Halstead

That's where I am stupid. Why use cotton vs. polyster? What makes that decision for you? That's the question...why use one versus the other...

Carol,

This opens up a whole mindset! LOL there are some that want only 100% cotton and nothing else. Remember all those quilts in the 70's that had poly thread that was like fishing line and cut the fabric fibers. I think the key is not to use thread that is stronger than the fabric itself! I use poly and don't worry about it. I like thinner thread and I haven't found a good cotton that is thin like SoFine that I can use. Cotton is usually thicker and the thread shows a lot more than the thinner poly. If you want your thread to show go with the cotton if you want the quilting to show more go with the poly thinner thread. My personal preference is to have the thread blend in and let the quilt speak for itself. There are times when I want to use a showy thread but for the most part I don't.

Superior Threads has an excellent website that gives a lot of information about threads. Check it out. I personally like poly thread. I had much better luck with it on my DSM. There is virtually no lint, which is great. If you like the look of cotton thread, Superior's Poly Quilter is a nice thread...variegated, though.

Heidi is correct. The strongest fiber will win. So, if you are using a really tough cotton thread, it can be more harsh on your quilt fabrics than a thinner poly. As a beginner, the mistake I have been making is to match my thread too closely in color to the fabric. While I don't want the quilt to be "all thread" I will make an attempt to use thinner thread such as So Fine, but in a color that is maybe a little lighter or darker than the fabric.

As for price, the large cones of thread are not cheap. However, there is a lot of thread on a cone. I have only been using good quality thread on my machine and have had virtually no problems with thread breaking, fraying, etc. After the issues with inexpensive thread on my DSM, I will stick with the good stuff.

I know this is not answering the question specifically - but I am going to throw in another thought for you. Yes - all the cones are expensive and it is hard to find what you will want as your main thread. Have you thought of the embroidery threads? I use both Issacord and Floirani with great success. Overall, they may not be cheaper, but the cones are smaller and you can purchase lots of colors or just a few at a lower cost. I like Floriani the best - a better sheen but use both. They are also readily available - especially Issacord. I have use both top and bottom - Issacord might be a bit better for the bobbin. Keep in mind, that no matter how good the APQS machines are (and they are!!!) stitch quality is definitely affected by the quality of the thread. This is the same for batting and fabric. Good quality of all three always results in better quilting.......

Carol when I first started quilting I heard or read some where that if your fabric is cotton then you should use cotton thread due to shrinkage when you wash your quilt. So this was my mind set. I tried some off brand cottons and didn't like the looks or I had issues with them. I tried Signature thread and I really liked it, it quilted well and rarely if any breakage problems...ect... But after coming to this forum (lurking in the background) and reading the posts of different thread types being use and how they like the results. I started experimenting with different types and found that my mind set of cotton on cotton wasn't true. I still use a lot of signature thread....the price is right, it quilts nice and rarely any tension issues. I know I said the "T" word :o! For me I tend to lean more toward the cheaper priced threads. I now use YLI, Superior and some King Tut, I will continue to try other threads that different ones here on the forum like to use. Now I just wait to buy the threads that cost more when they go on Sale.......I like Sales!:P

I don't fear adjusting the tension (the "T" word again) any more like I use't to, Thanks to the help of Bonnie :D

Thanks for everyone's input. It seems all I do is read this forum to gain the insight and knowledge from all of you. I plan to order some So Fine and bottom line from superior but will start with colors I need for my projects coming up to be quilted and start there. I ordered a couple of Signature cones to try out and I think I got some Superior with my machine. I will use both to see how it looks

I'm a firm supporter of Superior threads. You get what you pay for and I've always loved their threads - how they look, how they stitch, etc. SoFine is a great workhorse thread and inexpensive, but I use Rainbows almost exclusively.

I really dislike all the lint I get from Signature and Perma-core, and I don't like how thick they are, but they are definitely strong threads that rarely break.

Jluia

Archived