Edgerider Problem

LynnQuilts

I installed Edgerider wheels on my Millennium. All is well, except when moving the machine side to side along the leveller bar. The machine wheels move fine front to back, but when the machine is all the way back to the leveller bar and I move it side to side, it is very stiff. This only happens at the back side of the table near the leveller bar, it is fine side to side when I'm closer to the front of the table. It is as if the machine is too heavy for the wheels and is pressing down on them preventing it from moving freely. I have adjusted the wheels from tight to loose and every increment in between and nothing really helps. Has anyone else had this problem with their Edgerider wheels on the Millie? I'm about to put the black wheels back on, then thought I'd check to see if anyone knows what might be wrong first.

Thanks for your help!!

Hi Lynn,

I have similar issues with my Millenium ever since edgerider wheels were installed 6 months ago. I got this feeling that the bars are bowed at the middle that causes the problem to be tight when I am quilting somewhere the middle area of the table.

For a while I thought maybe it was my table, but then I just swapped a longer (14f table, a week ago I had a 12ft table).

I hope someone could help shed a light on this challenge. I really like the way the wheels go smoother and better.

DH is so unbelievable busy (and cranky he said) and I could not asked anymore assistance until Christmas vacation.

Maybe Bonnie Botts could help us. Bonnie where are you?

Corey

i am very new at this and i don't have er wheels; however, i did have same problem another poster wrote about. i had trouble with moving the machine when i was sewing towards the back ... me in front of the machine. anyway, found power cord was getting in the way of the wheels. so much so that i have minor scratch on power cord. duh ... was not dancing at that point. but now i make sure the power cord is hanging straight down behind machine. Mr. dancing bear is going to get another clamp to clamp cord out of way. yippee ...

Can you see what is dragging when you have the machine all the way against the leveler bar? I would go to the back of the machine and push it all the way forward. See if you can see where the resistance is. Are you sure the machine is level on the platform. Lay a level to make sure you don't have the back wheels up higher than the front. Call Patty Butcher and see if she can guide you. Let us know what you find out.

Corey, Look on the main page and it talks about the alignment of the table. Click the support tab and you will see 10 questions, it's #6. I talked to Amy and Kristie on this one and they specified that. It states that even being off slightly will cause a drag in the flow. So if the edgeriders are smoother then it makes sense that they would be more sensitive to this slight variance.

I think Sheri is right. I'm having similar problems but with the machine moving horizontally across the table in its furthest forward position. No matter what I do I can't raise the wheels enough so that they are not resting on the rail. My next step will be to put a thin washer between the gold bolt and the wheel to raise the wheel up. I hope to do this at the weekend.

The machine is heavier at the back because of the motor so I think the washers would need to be different front to back.

Sue in Australia

Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate them. I have measured and measured, levelled and levelled, and it is as level and consistent as I can make it, and I can see nothing dragging on it. I will try putting more washers on and see what happens.

Corey, you might look at the trusses beneath the table and the bolts that come from the trusses and hold up the table. Perhaps the bolts are too high and need to be lowered. That could cause the table to bow up in the center some. It may not be your problem, but is something to check anyway.

Thanks again!

I had to add extra washers also. When I put mine on, we made sure each wheel not only had the same number (and size) but also made sure that they were stacked in the same order - that might have been going overboard, but it worked. When Tony checked them when I put the IQ on, he said they were perfect.

Lynn, I have installed several sets on machines and not heard of this problem before. When did you get your wheels? Was it before the new hardware and rewritten instructions? Are you sure you put the right amount of washers on the back side of the carriage? You need 5 between the wheel and the channel lock and 3 between the wheel and the encoder on the other end. ( I just checked the instructions and it says 2 between the encoder box and the wheel, it should be three) If you are missing any, I would imagine that when the weight of the machine is fully on the back side, this could be causing your drag.

The wheels should be set so that the upper 3rd part of the curve is resting on the rail of the table. If the lip of the wheel is sitting on the rail, this can cause drag too.

Hi Meg & Patty. Meg, I was like you when I installed my wheels, I checked and rechecked to make sure they were exactly right. Yes, I have the wheels with the new hardware & instructions, and I had already put in the extra washer where the instructions said two and it should have been three. Like Sheri suggested, this morning I put in an extra washer above each back wheel (the SR & the channel lock wheels), and it seems better. Maybe the one extra washer on each wheel helped somehow deflect the weight of the machine? I don't know, but it seems to be moving easier back there now. I left my front carriage wheels as per the instructions and just put the extra washer above each back wheel. Sue, maybe putting an extra washer above each front wheel would help in your situation?

Thanks everyone for your help!! It is very much appreciated!!!

If you go to www.edgeriderwheels.com and then support/manuals you can download the new instructions. Also email them using the support email and ask for the longer bolts and washers to be sent. I am out of town for a week and can't send them.

The bolts were not long enough to work properly. they changed the length and added more washers in with the kit back in about June or so and rewrote the instructions.

Patty on Lisa's computer.

Hi Lynn,

We checked the center of the table and sure enough its higher, it improved the glide when we lowered it.

When I quilt on a 2nd row of panto it gets stiff. So I looked under and noticed that the front right side wheel riding the table is not touching (not rolling) at some point and area of the table, so the left wheel gets the brunt of the load thus making it stiff and so producing much friction then producing much much more black gunk.

Last night, I emailed Edgerider Wheels maker for longer bolts and more washers, I am waiting.

Corey

Joann Hoffman, I sent you a U2U.

I have pics on my webshots of the edgeriders installed.

I can also walk you thru over the phone if needed. I was only on for an hour with Myrna when she did hers. Ok, maybe it was an hour and a half...lmao, but....we got er done!!!

Going hunting in an hour or so with hubby (today is his b-day) so I can also walk you thru it tonite if you wish!!!!

Talk to you soon.

Archived