STENCILS AND LAYOUT

I have another questions about stencils? When doing borders....how do you go about laying out your stencil from one end to the other and it end up even?

How many stencils should I purchase to get started and where should I go to get them? Are there any other extra items that I should have once I?m ready to start taking quilts for finishing?

Again, I appreciate the help!

Quilted Treasure?s By Pat

Pat,

Stencils....hummmm love 'em, gotta have 'em can't live without them. More is better and Lots are great. I started out with stencils and have just about every one that has been made. :P As to where to get them. The Stencil Company www.quiltingstencils.com has a great selection of continuous line for both blocks and borders. One of my fav's is "Follow your Dream" its in the Hari Walner collection. But there are lots and lots more that I could also consider as fav's....

Also this company has speicality things like "black light pencils" and chalk pencils...but you can get the chalk pencils at any art supply house. Just make sure its a "General's" brand. They seem to work the best for me. Just stay away from the graphite and charcoal pencils that they make, if you get to heavy handed they are a bit hard to get out....Have used them on my own personal stuff, but would never use for a customer.

If you look at the Stencil Company's site you can see where they are going to be next and maybe you can get luck and pick out the stencils at a show...

Good luck and have fun deciding which ones are the best for you.

:D

Also try www.stensource.com for some great stencils. I have several of their stencils. Some are CL and some are ones that I can just back track to use. I just purchased some of their turning 20 and cut apart sencils and can't wait to try them.

Diane

okay ladies, I have some stencils. Before I purchase more, are there copyright laws? I hate to even bring this ugle subject up, but considering all the posts about copyrights I felt I had to ask. Don't yell please:(

Pat,

I'm sure you will get as many different answers as people who answer you. So I guess what I would say first off is what ever works for you is the right way.

I personally start in the corners and work towards the middle and if I need to do any adjusting that is where I make it...I have found some stencils are perfect and you get a perfect match completely around a quilt, but that isn't the norm, most are a bit off on either ends or sides and you will have to make some kind of adjustment. This can be for several reasons, whomever made the quilt didn't get all the side exact and off by even a 1/2 inch or the border stencil you are trying to use isn't really meant for that size border....

But what ever you do you need to do on the other side as well so it matches (i.e. if you need to adjust on one side you need to fudge on the other side as well.)

Hope this helped some.

Bonnie is right, there are probably many answers to your questions. I typically layout the middle of my border first, then the corners. If there are adjustments to make (and there always are), I do it between the corners and the middle. That way my design is centered nicely and the corners all match. After you have done a few you will find the method that works best for you.

Happy Quilting,

I usually use my white chalk, not happy with the yellow, I have found that

it does not want to just brush off like the white. I use the purple air

erasable pens over the blue, I do not wash my cusomters quilts. I just mark

what I am working on at that moment. This would not work for a whole-

cloth trapunto quilt though.

P.S. I purchased a new big soft paint brush that I keep in my tool box for

brushing off the chalk. (just a cheap one from Wal-mart works well)

I am so new to the longarm quilter and still trying to learn how to use it, I am so happy to have found this site to get great tips from experienced quilters. I find it can get very flustrating, but I have promised myself to keep going, even though there at times I feel I should not have bought it. I do not have the fancy machines that you have, I bought the new Viking Maga Quilter but with practice I think it will meet my needs. I have other Viking equipment which I enjoy and would not trade for anything else, so I feel sure their Maga Quilter will more than meet my needs.

Judi,

Were you using a yellow chalk or a yellow marking pencil?

Just wondering as I have a very difficult time getting the yellow pencils out even when washing. I have only used on my own as I would never wash a customers quilt...Spritz it yes, but never wash and the yellow pencils won't come out with spritzing. I haven't had any trouble with any of the "General chalks", some don't brush off easliy as you said, but they ALWAYS come out in the wash, or come off within a few days with handlinig. Just wondering as to know which ones to throw out if it was the yellow Generals Chalk.

Long arm quilting is new to me and I am still trying to learn how to use my machine. This is an art, ladies, not as easy as it looks. I am so happy to find this site on the internet, I have gotton so many good ideas from reading the post by so many experienced quilters.

• 2 weeks later...

Bonnie -

What I was using is the yellow chalk by clover. It is in a tube about the

size of a sharpie marker, and the chalk is loose, it rolls on by a little wheel on the end. Nice and narrow for getting into stencils and such, but

I just have had a heck of a time getting it off! I brush and brush and have

tried blowing it off with the air...... I am going to dump the yellow and re-

fill with white. maybe leaving in just a bit of the yellow so as to show up

on those really light / white fabrics.

I have seen this in the blue chalk too, but I am not so sure of that either...

guess I might have to try it....... but this yellow will last me forever!

You may all know this already, but JoAnn's is now carring Fons and Porter quilting gadgets and I found the marking wheel there. They carry several different chalk colors. Good for the %40 off coupons. Not sure if the are the same as clover.

Oh - and don't forget, you get an additional 10% off with your membership

card from AQS (if you are). I always try and use those coupons for DSM

needles or a new marking pen or something!

I can't wait to check out the new Fons and Porter line, I saw it in a

magazine - like the new bright colored pin cushion! Never can have enough

of those around......

Hi All -

Sorry to start confussion - but I did type AQS not APQS. I should have said

American Quilters Society. With a $19 yearly membership - you get email

newsletters (lots of info.!) and magazines - 4 times a year I think - they

also have great books offered on their website! Check it out at:

www.americanquilter.com

Don't forget the 10% off at Jo-anns too! And a nice little pin to put on my

nametag!

Archived