I need some advice :o)

Sounds like she was too chicken to speak to you in person... an email? hmmm... she already knows she's wrong.

I mostly agree with the group, but I do think that if I was going to rip, I would charge the $20/hr and it's gonna take weeks!!!!!

Good luck... we're all with ya!

OH the frustration...I made a quilt, start to finish last year for a lady. It really was one of the prettiest quilts I have ever done. The lady loved it. Well, I had her measure the bed, how much drop she wanted etc.... A few months later she decided it needed to be bigger----on the sides for a longer drop. So could I do it? oh sure, but I charge by the hour (did not tell her HOW much by the hour).."If she brought it to me in July, could I have it done by Christmas? " no problem. In Sept they started nagging. Long story shorter, I got it done in Oct, and did charge her $30/hour. One of my friends doubted that I would charge that much. Okay, I only charged $25/hour, but inflated the price of the fabric to make it come out to $30/hour. Did I feel guilty, hell no....am I glad I am done with it, hell yes. THAT is why I have people tell me what they want, If it is my mistake, I eat it.........if it is theirs, well, they need to pay for it. If there is nothing else I have learned through the years is that MY TIME IS VERY VALUALBLE...JUST AS IMPORTANT AT ANY ONE ELSE'S. Do I worry about what others say, NO. We are human and can only do so much. And if there is one thing I have learned, YOU CAN NOT PLEASE EVERYONE, DO THE BEST YOU CAN. IF YOU ARE HAPPY WITH THE END RESULT, THAT MATTERS MORE THAN ANYTHING. DO NOT SELL YOUR SELF SHORT.

Karen,

I am sorry this happened to you. I know how upsetting something like this can be. (Anyone who would want a big stipple instead of feathers is mentally ill.) I agree with those who said they would not take it out, and would not re-do it. I would unemotionally tell her that since there is obviously a communication problem between the two of you, it might be best if she took her quilts to someone else in the future. And, I wouldn't worry about her badmouthing you to other customers. They know your work, and they know you, and I bet they know her, too.

Chin up, and remember the customers that are so happy they are nearly in tears when they pick up their lovely quilts.

Archived