Metallic Gold Thread

I'm trying to quilt a Christmas table runner with small stars & loops and would love to use my metallic thread. The brand is "Madeira" and is a good quality thread but very fine (as most metallics are). It does not twist as it comes off the cone.

My thread is breaking and I keep loosening the tension to the point there is no tension and it still breaks. I'm starting to see the thread on the back. I'm using a super bob in the bobbin and a 3.5 needle. I had a size 4.0 before but no difference as far as I can tell.

Any ideas?

Caroline...I hate to say this as Madeira is a good embroidery thread if used on a DSM...but it just doesn't have the stability to work on a LA.

I finally had to throw all my Madeira threads away.... and it didn't make any difference what needle I used or how much Sewer Aid I poured on it. The fibers just aren't there to support the fast motion of a longarm.

Its not made like ARC or OESD embroidery threads....

Oh Bonnie - that is too bad! This is such pretty thread.. I did manage about 1/4 this table runner so far and might just persevere through the rest of it with the breaks, but I'm beginning to see your point about the stability. I did love using it in my DSM though...

Hold that thought! This quilt is so small, I think I'll take it off and finish it in my DSM! Hey!

For the other table runner (I have 2) I'll pick a pretty gold cotton or maybe a gold SO FINE.

Thanks for the tip!

Hi. OK I have to say that on my longarm machine, I have successfully used the Madeira metallic threads (gold and silver on the spool) without problems. In fact, I just used it this past weekend.

But it takes a little practice on the tension part... Just continue to loosen up (both bottom and top) until you get a happy place. You might also move up to a 4.0 or 4.5 needle and put drops of Sewer's Aid on the thread spool.

If I can do it, you can do it. I've used all sorts of metallic threads in my longarm machine

-- even Sulky Sliver, Glitter and even Halogram -- both on the top! :) (ran monofilament right in with it for extra support -- worked great!)

Thanks guys! I just came back in from curling so haven't had a chance to read the posts. Tomorrow I'm going to try Shana's suggestions and give it another 'college' try. I will increase the needle size. I found Dawn's blog from last year talking about metallic thread and she suggests looping it through the thread guide differently, which I will try too. I would really like to make this work because I like this gold.

If I can't get it to work I will move to the DSM. Either way, I will add a post to let others know..

Superior has a metallic gold that I might put on my wish list for my next order. Has anyone tried that. Is it problem free? I don't have the Bottom Line gold, but will probably add that to my wish list too! Thanks Linda.

Caroline,

Also try the horizontal mounting (if you don't have a horizontal spool holder, a dowel and duct tape work in a pinch:)), and invisible thread in the bobbin. The invisible thread has just enough elasticity that it doesn't fight with the metallic. With that (and playing with the top threading for the 3-hole guide and tension adjustment) I have been able to quilt even flat, "tinsel-like" threads like Holoshimmer and Glitter with little or no breakage.

Treat the spool with Sewer's Aid if you have some to keep the needle cool, and move more slowly to reduce the friction build-up that causes the metallic to melt.

Good luck! I'm jealous that you are already getting ready for Christmas!

You guys are too much! The help on this forum is unbelievable! I was about to give up, but tried once more with Dawn's suggestions on how to thread it (from last years blog on quilting with specialty threads) and that did the trick. I think it is similar to your suggestion Joan. I've been able to finish the runner!

I thank everyone for their suggestions and have printed this post because there are also alot of suggestions here that will help me (and others) when using specialty fine threads in the future. I love the idea of using the monofilament in the bobbin or Shana's suggestion of adding it to the top thread.

Also, I do have the Superior metallica thread on my wish list, so it will be on my next order for sure. Thanks again!

Archived