Going Part Time

I have been looking for a new job and have been negotiating with two different places. One was a hospital that wants me real bad, (clerical - no blood :( ) and the University of Missouri Extension center....The hospital was terrible hours and very, very low pay. The Extension Center is 20 hours/week, 9 am - 1 pm, and much better pay. That means I can can quilt more hours in the day:) and I can go out and drum up more business:) And I have more time to fight with designing a web site:( . I have been doing the happy dance all over my house, out on the deck, on the front porch...I am feeling it:cool:

Sorry, just a little happy.

Mary Beth

Mary Beth, that is wonderful. I went part time a year ago so I could get my quilting business up and running. Unfortunately I work for an attorney so between his "needing me" and my hour commute each way, my part time has turned into little time, but God is good and I know someday it will happen. I wish you the best of luck with your new found hours.

:)Bekah

Thank you Bekah. When my choice came down to the 2 jobs, one full time with benefits, the other part time without benefits, I knew I wanted part time because of my quilting. My husband, the one with the level head (not that I have more than one husband;)), wanted me to take the full time job because it was at a hospital and he thought I would get quilting business from the other employees. It doesn't do any good to get more business when you don't have any more hours to do the quilting. So, on my way to the interview with the part time job, I started praying the God would give me the job He thought was best for me. When they made the offers, the job at the hospital had terrible hours, and even worse pay. The other job was 9 - 1, perfect hours, and much better pay, plus, the people seem very nice. So God is good, HE sure helped me with this one!!

Mary, sounds GREAT! Now perhaps some of the frustration of your quilting business will just go away!

I went FULL time with Country Lane last fall and have managed to stay very busy all the time. We could not do what we do as a business if Mary, John, and I had to work full time somewhere else!

Stay in touch and keep on keeping us informed.

Janet

Mary Beth, Please keep us informed about your "new life" of part time worker. I am always so anxious to see God working in people's lives. It gives me incredible joy to be able to praise Him on behalf of my brothers and sisters. ;)

As I am new here and am not really acquainted with everyone, John and Mary you have your own business and work together? that is a truly wonderful thing!! My husband keeps trying to "not" be interested in my quilting but he is the first to show up at a quilt show and has just as much fun as I do. I keep telling him there is a quilter lurking inside and he just runs the other way. Ha Ha. Thinks it is not "manly" to sew. I bet when I get my long arm, he will be the first one on it.

Have a great day

Bekah

Mary,

I am so happy for you! I know things are just going to take off for you now. As you discovered a week or so ago, you really are a quilter. A great quilter! I bet you'll find customers through the Extension Center, too.

Let us know how it goes.

Phyllis Hughes

Mary Beth -

I'm glad you were able to get the job you wanted - and better pay too -

thats great! You are going to be able to get such a handle on the quilting

now and get really comfy with your machine.

I looked at your webshots - nice quilts! I really like the t-shirt were the

blocks are slanted - cool idea!

Are you haveing luck with your website? I need to do that too. Are you

talking about a different one than the webshots page? I just don't even

know where to start with that! I need to search through the forum I guess.

Congrats on the job and ........ keep on quilting!

Thank you all for your encouragement and well wishes. My new job starts on Monday the 5th. My old job ended yesterday, so I have 3 days plus the weekend to show my husband that I mean business and that I will get so much done in these 3 days. So far, the cable guy was here, of course I had to wait on him, so I dusted, and cleaned. Then my husband brought rhuhbarb up from the freezer so I had to make a crisp, just so he will think this is a good thing when he gets home and there are fresh baked goodies. It took me till 11:30 to make it up the stairs to my quiltiing studio. Then I had to check emails, check this site to see what is happening, etc. I have to get busy. This is not working out anything like I planned;)

Thank you for viewing my pics. I am doing a variable t-shirt quilt right now, where all the blocks are a different size. Let me just say that I flunked math in school. Oh, how I wish I had a brain!!:P My dh helps, I give him a decimal, he turns it into a fraction....when I am amazed, he tells me he learned it in the 3rd grade :( Sorry, I just have a block. I do okay the rest of the time, but this quilt is my first, and it is a doosy!! Thank you for the compliments. That helps more than you know. I was a little nervous about posting any pictures after seeing the ones that are posted here.

Archived