securing broken threads

Hi Donna,

Carefully pick the stitches back to a point and bury the ends. Taking off from a point is much easier than trying to start your stitching in the middle of a curve.

When I bring my bobbin thread to the top, I pull both the top and bobbin threads off to the side and secure them with low tack masking tape. Then when I'm finished the row, I remove the tape and bury the threads. Your stop & start will be invisible as no backtacking is needed. :)

Hope that helps and WELCOME to the wonderful world of longarming! :D

what is 'bury the threads' or how do you 'bury the threads'? i know tie off, i know bring to top/back ... but this 'bury the threads' has me perplexed.

What I do is after I bring the bobbin thread to the top, I tie the top and bobbin thread together with a small knot. I then take that thread with the knot and bury it in the quilt sandwich between the layers (I like to use a self threading needle to do this). I tug on the thread gently until I hear a "pop" when the knot gets buried under the fabric. I then know that the ends are secure.

It really is easy and makes for neater starts and stops. I worked in the judging room at my guild's quilt show last month and listened to the NQA certified judge comment on the messy starts and stops on some quilts, as well as the thread buildup that can occur when they are overstitched rather than knot and bury or neatly done like Dawn taught us at our APQS classes last week. It takes a bit of time but is well worth the effort.

I like your tape idea Darlene, it keeps the tails from being stitched over as well as easy to find when you go back to bury threads, you are less likely to miss some. I too have heard people complain about messy starts and stops when there is thread build up and I think it takes a little extra work to bury the threads but looks so much better!

When I first got my longarm, I started the habit of tieing off and burying my threads as I went along. it's a good habit to get into and doesn't take that much time. I use a self-threading needle, too, but sometimes I use a needle with a large eye.

If my thread breaks, or I run out of bobbin, I do exactly like Darlene Epp suggests... I use a dental hook tool to pull up my threads to a point (or a seam line) and then I knot, bury) and start again. The starts/stops are nearly invisible and you cannot tell. The transition looks very nice and clean.

Archived