flannel fabric

I have a quilt made from flannel. It seems to stretch more than the other fabrics. And the quilting seems to bury more so is worth the time to do decorative quilting? Any guidance is appreciated. I have not worked with flannel before and have only done about 25 quilts total. See, I am still very, very new. ;) Thanks.

The fluffer the batting the more the threads will sink into the flannel...as Heidi stated the flannel is already a looser weave and then to add a fluffy batting...what you are going to get is a really really high and low spots.

The thread tracks being the low spots and the poly batting puffing up and being the high. To get a really nice even showy thread and nice quilt, I would go with a thinner batting...a 80/20 or Warm and Natural....I would think you will get a puffy look with Dream Puff or wool as they also are a fluffier batting where the 80/20 and W/N are a flatter batting and your sandwich threads won't sink in as far.

This might be a time where you need to experiment with your battings to see which look you like best. What you are working with already will make a nice quilt, but you wanted the threads to show more...I would think that would call for a flatter bat.

Bonnie, thanks for the insight. I should know this since I have quilted by hand since I was a child. I am so knew at machine quilting that I don't think of all of the details yet. This is a quilt for someone else. I am going to try the design on a cotton fabric with a cotton batting. It is a really cute fish design. What would I do without the group? Thanks.

I wouldn't call it lint as much as I would broken fibers from the poly...and yes some more so than others... There are some poly batts that will totally fall apart in your hand if you even slightly tug on them and there are some that you can stand on and pull and pull and they don't fall apart. Just like cotton battings, Poly ones are not all alike either.

Archived