Big Backings

I am doing my first really big quilt and the backing is HUGE. Do you all iron this on your ironing table or do the spray with water and let it drape over the rollers for a bit. I would say it is about 90 inches wide.

This is for my son so my goal is no puckers on the back but it will be folded to mail out.

Unless they have really bad wrinkles, I just put them on the machine, because when I roll, it stretches them all out.

Maybe I'm lazy, but I've had no problems.......so far.......as long as I get the backing SQUARE so it is a nice, snug, and even pull with the rollers.

Granted, it it NOT EASY to get these monsters square, but that's where I spend my time in lieu of ironing.

You all are great and fast. This is for a single guy who probably never even makes his bed. I just want no puckers and think I will do the overnight spray thing. It is just a BIG Warm Wishes using choir fabric as the focus. He is a choir director at his church.

If I ever do a quilt for someone for money---laughing at that right now---I would prolly be pickier.

I sprayed it when I posted the question and it already looks much better.

Thanks for all your help.

Unless it is really wrinkled, I never iron. I mist it as I roll it and smooth it out with my hand on the roller. Like another poster said, when I tighten my rollers, all the wrinkles come out anyway. Never had one yet to pucker on the back.But I always take a peek at the backing every so often to be sure nothing has creased or puckered as I progress.

I roll my large backings onto the roller the night before a job and just spray the problem creases with water. Wait till they dry then roll a bit more and spray. etc until I have rolled it all the way through and de creased it.

No way can I handle ironing a wideback.

I even do this with small backs. Often the water is enough to get the sides to stop drooping.

I don't live in a very humid area and at the moment things dry very quickly in the heat.

It works for me!

Lyn

I sprayed it yesterday and it looked MUCH better this AM. I got it pinned and rolled up before I had to leave for work. I did lots of smoothing as I was rolling.

When I get home today I will load up the top and batting and get quilting. Thanks again. I cannot see being overly concerned about a quilt than will end up in a mess on a bed....lol.

This is the process I use when I'm loading a backer and I never have a problem with even wonky backs.

1. Spray with strach and let lay out over the bars until dry. This will get out most wrinkles.

2. Load onto take-up bar first not worrying too much if it loads wonky.

3. Roll onto the bottom backer bar. This is the time that I take the time to make sure it is rolling tight and nice. Roll back and forth between the take-up bar and backing bar if it gets wonky. Usually I only have to do this a couple of times even on the worst of backers.

Georgene,

It doesn't work for tops just the backers. Yup it works well for those not so square backs. I don't stress too much about the backs, just make sure it is smooth and on grain. Deloa actually should credit for teaching me this! Too bad the same theory doesn't work for our tops! I'm sure if you rolled it back and forth though you would get it much straighter and flatter.

I finished the quilt and I think any little imperfections will disappear after washing it and drying it. One spot on the left border got a little tuck (for lack of a better word). It seems my left border rolls a little differently that the right. If someone were paying me--I would panic but it is fine for this quilt. Finished is better than perfect.

I will try the rolling back and forth next time. I saw no wrinkles in the backing after removing it.

I am not fond of these BIG quilts but like giving one to each of my kids. I like on 50 x 70 much better and that is the size of most of my Quilts of Valor.

We all learned from each other.

Archived