laser light use

onesewise

Hi! My DH surprised me for my birthday and Mothers Day with a Freedom!Still can't believe it! We set it up and yest I tested it! Had to watch video 3 times.... Scary! I've never used a long arm...or looked at one! Question...when using the laser light, the roller bars get in the way as do the elastic clamp pieces! Should it point in a certain direction? Or should the paper on the table (called pantos?)be placed a certain way? I've read a post that says it can be placed on the side for a block design...the plug won't reach for it to be anywhere but where it is.

Also, I have 9 12" block sandwiches I'd like to practice quilting with...would I pin them down or thread baste them to accomplish this? Or is neither advisable? Thanks...BTW I have 3 florescent lamps (4 bulbs in each) in the ceiling above my Freedom, the lighting is great!

Congratulation on your machine, you will love it. A couple of great books that are must haves are Carol A. Thelen's "Long-Arm Machine Quilting" and Linda Taylor's " The Ultimate Guide to Longarm Machine Quilting". These books explain how to position the light so that the panto is stitched onto your quilt. I could try to explain it, but I would probably have you so confused you would be ready to sell your machine;) Maybe someone else will be savy enough to tell you how to do it. Good luck and congrats again.

How lucky are you - Happy Birthday!

When you take delivery of your Freedom the laser is mounted on the top of the machine and you can use it up there for blocks. You stand at the front of the machine, place a quilting block pattern to the side of the place you want to quilt it, laying it on the quilt top and directing the laser so that the laser dot is sharp and clear - 6 - 8 "s from where you want to stitch is probably right.

If you want to sew a panto, you need to lay your pantograph on the table at the back of the machine and set your laser pointer up on the long bolt that comes out of the machine on the lefthand side when you are standing at the back of the machine. This means you have the black box plugged into the back panel of the machine head, its curly cord plugs into the laser pointer and that is mounted on the bolt that comes out of the left side of the machine.

Remember, if you move your laser from the back to the front , you need to plug in the short black extension cord.I hope that was clear, if not just let me know and I'll try to take some pics.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Thank you Sue in Aust. I was able to do it this morning w/ no problem! It's funny how we tried to figure out how to do it on our own and just couldn't imagine switching anything...but it works!

Another quest. When quilting the machine trembles a little sorta like a jack hammer not nearly that powerful though! Is that normal or should we tweak the wheels a bit? Thanks, Elaine

Hi onesewise

Yes it sounds like your wheels (or at least one of them) is too loose. I would check the carriage wheels first. They BOTH need to have the cams set the SAME ie. 9 o clock. 6 o clock is the loosest setting - 12 oc clock the tightest.

Read through your manual under the wheel alignment section - it has great pictures to help you along.

Let us know here if you have any problems - there is always someone willing to help.

Sue in Australia

Archived