A little more information will be required before anyone of us can even come close to make a guess, and that's exactly what it would be a guess.

Your Better Business Bureau might be able to help you if they will or your local administration offices might be able to help you, but I would say its like anything else, a gamble. If you live in a remote area like I do in New York state you would be a God sent, but if you live in an area that doesn't quilt much or there are several great larger stores within driving distance...its hard to say what your likely hood of success will be.

It will depend on you, how you handle your advertising, your finances and how good your business plan is....goals are great, but you have to have some means to meet them. Are you coming to the table with enough money to get you through a 6 month period, just in case your doors aren't flooded with customers. How do you plan to come about with inventory, and findings for your store. It will depend on the location of your store, people won't come if you are in a shady area or if they don't feel safe after dark for late classes....how you handle customers will be a big thing....if they don't feel welcome they don't have to come back. Your hours will depend on that as well. The few I have here close at 4:30 M-Sat or don't even open that day....I don't even bother, I can't get to them before they close, so Joanne's is my fabric store of choice or mail order.

I'm not sure how I can answer those questions....they must come from you, and your hard work....You can build it, but that's doesn't guarantee that they will come. You are the only one who can control the situation, your hard work and your refusal to quit will be the only thing that makes the difference of whether you stay open or have to close your doors. I'm sorry I couldn't be of help...maybe someone else has better ideas.

Good Luck I wish you well in your adventure.

You might want to visit some quilt shops in towns that are similar to yours. Let them know you are thinking of opening a store (don't go to one that would be in direct competition) and ask them for some advice. Look around and see what they do well and perhaps what they don't do as well. Pick the brains of as many people as possible and take lots of notes. You will also need to put together a business plan and if you need help seek out other business owners, not just quilt shops, because every business needs a plan.

I have a friend that is currently getting her financing to open a store in our area. We currently have 2 in town and several more within 20 miles or so. All of them do extremely well and we do have a Joanns Superstore nearby. The quality of the fabric you find in quilt stores is so much better than the fabric at Joanns and in our area the service is much better too.

In my opinion there are fabric stores and then there are what I call "destination quilt shops". Those are the ones that you love so much that you would drive miles to get there. They have wonderful fabric selections, classes, sample quilts for ideas, kits, and lots of other goodies. If you have any concerns about your area being able to support a quilt shop then become a "destination" for quilters from surrounding areas. Just add a couple of chairs and some magazines for husbands and go for it. There are lots of quilters like myself that will make a "road trip" for just the right fabric.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted,

I definitely prefer the quilt shops that KNOW QUILTING. The success of this type of business is up to you. I think all things are possible so I'm not the best to ask.

I am thinking of opening up one myself and I have lots of competition but that doesn't scare me. Its just I am very fond of my local shops so I plan to focus on Longarming for now but I still want my own shop. Timing is everything. Quilt shops are so charming and I just love to visit them when I travel to see all the neat ways they are put together.

You can do it. Good luck

Sounds like you need to speak with a business advisor or SBA for some sound advice.

We have lost both of our quilt shops here in Gresham and so now Craft Warehouse has picked up the slack at least material wise, but there is no place for classes or chatting. I am hoping to pick up that slack by opening my studio to any teacher who would like to hold classes, have a corner with a big chair for sitting and sipping tea, books to look through and just generally a safe place to be. Would love to have fabric but am not sure I can handle that right now. For now, I am just praying for a long arm so the rest can get off the ground.

Having spent all of my life "wishing" I now am going to try to spend the last part of it "doing" so go for your dream and best wishes.

Bekah

Archived