Help Please -Fullness in borders after turning quilt

I am working on a full custom quilt for a customer. Everything is done except for borders on 2 sides. I wanted to do do last 2 borders after turning so I didn't have to work sideways on them. As I was working my way down the quilt I just pinned the sides of the quilt but didn't sew down each of the 4 borders except the one closest to the inside of the quilt top. Was that a mistake? I am using Bonnie's starch and steam method to try and tame these borders.

I am using QD Puff batting because quilt top wasn't very flat to begin with. Here is a photo of it back on my table.

post--13461902936222_thumb.jpg

Susan,

My guess is that the quilting in the middle made it suck in and since the borders weren't nailded down as you went you got waves. Normally the way I counter this is to pin the unquilted borders a lot and also only lightly quilt the middle, like maybe do the SID work and then once I've turned it then I do the detail quilting. Keep working the starch and steam and you should be able to work it out. The quilting you have done is beatiful!

I wish you luck with this one, the borders have to be the same, so some way you have to make it work. Perhaps as you begin quilting, the excess will be drawn in. Would you consider adding a thin batt under just this side?

The roses you did can have more petals, and you can add more leaves. It might not be that obvious.

So, how to prevent this??

Do we pin along the sides as we quilt ....or do we machine baste the sides as we go???

Oh, the quilting is georgeous!!!!

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Circle Lord

NW NJ

Lisa I always machine baste the sides using my needle up/down about every inch. In addition to that I pin it to death, actually a pin every fist width. That way I'm sure it won't move around. It took me the hard way to learn too Susan so don't beat yourself up! You are doing a great job. I can't believe that is your first custom job. Just do the starch and steam and take your time and you can work it out!

Heidi you are such a wealth of information. You should put it all in point form and publish it in a book. Thank you for all your insight. I learn something every time I read your posts. I recently had the same problem as the OP and had a heck of a time with the borders eventhough I pinned and pinned and pinned. Next time I am perplexed with something I will ask Heidi!

You have done gorgeous quilting! Here are my worst case suggestions if you can't fix it...

take a couple of neat 45 degree quilts and it will look like the border has been neatly pieced OR

Do a different denser filler on 2 sides with tiny roses/leaves OR

wedge some extra batting under the two remaining borders. When you sew along the very outer edge of the border and it looks like a pucker may happen, swerve off then on again at a bad patch - once it is all nailed down you should be able to sort of squish it all in with your hand doing some tweaking - don't run over your fingers!

(This is not advice from the top drawer quilt police, just rescue remedy):P

The quilt is absolutely gorgeous, Susan! In this type of situation, I'd suggest machine basting starting from the inner border out to the edges every 2-3 inches or as wide as needed to bring the fullness out. Then quilt, then remove basting stitches and use a damp cotton cloth rubbing over basting holes lightly to close them.

Susan your work is beautiful. It is so stunning.

When all is done the eye will naturally go to the lovely detail on the top and the border is not going to be the focus. So you can relax.

But you will know, so I would suggest to steam it first. Then, if it is still "full" add another layer of batt just along the white border. Baste that all down well. Your border design looks free hand so go slow and use your fingers (carefully) to ease in the fullness.

Victoria G

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I've tried S&S and it helped some. I've decided to add another layer of batting (QD poly select) along these borders and that should help with the fullness. Going away today to Tucson for Thanksgiving, so will deal with this when I return on Monday. Wishing everyone a good holiday!

Lovely quilt and quilting. Those fans look 3 dimensioal. I would say they probably are from the looks. that is really cool. I have a quilt from thAt same line that is in the line up, different pattern but the same fabrics. got to love it! All breast cancer awareness fabrics. good luck with getting that border nailed down. It is gorgeous!

Susan, your quilting is beautiful and this quilt is just lovely. Sounds like you have gotten good advice on helping with the borders. I hope it all works out for you. I agree that the quilting is all so wonderful that with a little extra batting and tweaking you will be the only one to know there was a "problem"! Good luck and enjoy the holiday!

Vickie Oliver

Beachside Quilter

APQS Rep SW FL

It is gorgeous!!!

My thoughts were.....

How about piano keys?; start in the center, go a few keys then go to the far right, do a few keys; the far left, do a few keys and then the center of the gap on the left and then the center of the gap on the right...? Seems like this would balance the fullness and you can make it as dense as needed & travel 'off the edge' to prevent starts/stops? Does this make sense?

Archived