backing issues

I just finished a quilt that is 92 x 92 inches. The backing has a couple of vertical seams. When I took the quilt off, I noticed that the backing is not straight. Any suggestions on how to make sure the backing lines up next time? This is a raffle quilt that I volunteered to do. I am very disappointed because I worked for 3 full days on the quilt and was really trying to do a good job. I was originally taught to float the top. Is it better to not float the tops? Thanks.

Vertical seams will roll tighter onto the roller bar because they are thicker than just plain fabric. Load backings with backing seams parallel to the roller bars, if possible. Otherwise, adjust the vertical seams to be even with the rest of the backing, after each time you advance the quilt on the rollers.

Thanks so much. The backing fabric and the quilt were both directional. I was using a pantograph that was somewhat directional and would not work if I loaded the quilt sideways. How can you see the vertical seams when the quilt is loaded? I see this as another great chance to learn and do better next time.

Donna,

When I have no option but to load this way then I will really make sure that I have a very square back attached to each of the leaders. I also roll up onto the take-up bar first and then on the the backing bar. I would really take my time to smooth it as I go, making sure that it is rolling very evenly. It is all in the loading. Once the quilting begins you will need to make sure you keep the sides clamped and no puckers. It is a harder way to go vs loading it with the rows parrallel but you can't always get it loaded that way as you have found out.

I have the Zero Center tape. It is great for making sure quilts are square as you are rolling them up. On an APQS frame the tape is attached with double stick foam tape to the Self-Leveling Roller bar.

Also on the leveling bar I place blue painters tape just above the zero center tape. I mark with a little arrow on the painters tape, where the edges of my backing and the edges of my quilt will pass, so as it rolls past the leveling bar on to the take up roller I can visually check that I am keeping straight.

Victoria G

Originally posted by donnavans

How can you see the vertical seams when the quilt is loaded?

You can see the vertical seams when you go to the back of the machine and look on the take-up roller where the quilted sandwich rolls up. I periodically will take my hands and 'unwind' a bit in the areas where the vertical seams are.

Archived