Photo Transfers

Which Photo fabric do you choose?

I found:

Printed Treasures 50 sheets for $138.50

June Tailors Colorfast 50 sheets for $132.50

and Miracle Fabric 50 sheets for $67.50

I am going to order small pack of each of these and Test them using the same photo to get an idea but was curious as to what others like. I also plan to try the Bubble Jet Set but it just seems to be alot of trouble but I'm open minded.

I am hoping to find better prices as well. This is just an example. Can get for about .75 cents a sheet cheaper if you order larger quanities.

So what do you use and why do you like it?

Also have you had a quilt with the IRON on photos to do?

Can you share what you find out in your experiment? I have been wondering the same things and wondering if it would be worth my time to do them. Although, it seems T-shirt quilt people will pay for their quilts, and if you put a loved one's picture on the quilt I'm sure that would sell too.

Another thing I read after Simply Quilts aired a photo transfer segment, was that you should not use your home printer to print to the sheets because the ink washes out or fades when washed. If I can find the info I will let you know exactly what it says.

Glad you posted this question.

I have not actually done the actual process, but I have had many photo quilts come in.

Any of the iron-on have started to crackle and peel as it gets rolled through the machine.

The kind that gets printed directly onto the fabric has been great, but the best I have seen is the kind where the fabric is dipped in a solution then when dry is put on (freezer?) paper to run through the printer ~ I'm thinking that this is the Bubble Jet Set. The two quilts I have had come in using this method have been so soft. On the one the customers wanted quilting on the photos...which I have avoided in the past since you get the unsightly holes. With this one...no problem!!! You can't even feel the photos...they are truly a part of the fabric. If I were to do one for myself, I would probably think it was well worth the extra trouble.

hope this helps a bit.....Sandra:)

Grammie,

I have used several different photo transfer sheets, including the June Tailor and the Printed Treasures. I have used ones from Office Depot and WalMart and I have had the best results with Printed Treasures. The color comes out the best (some of them look faded as soon as you print them) and it doesn't wash out. I have a laser jet printer, not a bubble jet so that might affect the results. You can heat set them with a dry iron and a pressing cloth or throw them in the dryer but with the Printed Treasures, I haven't needed to do that. I also like the feel of it. It feels like soft muslin even after the image is transfered, not like some plastic coated stiff finish that some of the other products have. My local quilt shop sells transfer sheets for $1.00 a sheet, which is nice for those who have a small project and don't want to buy 50 sheets. This is also a good way to try different brands for colorfastness before investing a lot of money.

Colleen

Guest Linda S

I've used Bubble Jet Set with great success. Here are the instructions I printed for some friends who wanted to make quilt labels -- you can use the same process to print photos on fabric. I do not believe this is too tedious a process. It really does not take long and I get good vivid colors, that are permanent. I've heard too many problem stories with the sheets you buy at great expense at the store.

How to Print Your Own Labels

I know a lot of people think this is too much work, but I make

my own labels and don't find the process too tedious. Get some

regular muslin (bleached or unbleached doesn't matter). I prewash all

my fabric when it comes into the house, so mine would be prewashed.

Get a 13"x9" glass cake pan that you will never again use for cake

(alternatively, use a kitty litter pan that you don?t plan on the cat using!).

Put your muslin in the bottom of the pan (can be more than one

layer). Pour Bubble Jet Set over the top of it until it is soaked

through. Squeeze out the extra Bubble Jet Set and let the fabric

dry. Using a funnel that you will never use for foodstuffs again,

pour the Bubble Jet Set back into the bottle. When your fabric is

dry, iron it onto some freezer paper. Cut your fabric and paper into

8.5" x 11" sheets. Put it through your printer (if your printer has an adjustment for print quality, set it at the highest level), as you print your

lovely label design on it. Give the ink a few minutes to dry after it

comes out of the printer. Iron with a hot iron, but do not scorch.

Peel the freezer paper off the label (you might even get like four

labels on one sheet!), put some very hot water into your 13"x9" cake

pan. Add a teaspoon of Retayne. Swish. Lay your sheet of labels

into the pan, being careful not to let the fabric fold in on itself.

Leave for about 10 minutes (yes, you will see a bit of the color float

off, but not much). Remove the fabric from the pan and rinse it in

cool water. Dry. Clean up your mess, label your pan "NOT to be used

for food (or by the kitties!)? and put everything away.

Lovely labels that are permanent!!

Oh - thanks so much for all of the info! I was wondering the same things!

Linda - great instructions!

and Caron - thanks for the source for the muslin - that is another one of

my "to do's!" I am hoping this is big enough to use for backing also? I am

off to find out........

I'm with Cheryl. I have used them all but prefer Printed Treasures. Just recently I purchased June Tailor "Colorfast" Sew-In Inket Fabric Sheets (hot pink package) and they worked pretty well too. I have found that my printer doesn't like some brands (especially EQ Printables) but they might work on my husband's printer just fine. I'm anxious to hear the results of your experiment Grammie, please share.

Happy Quilting,

Archived