Need help with wide binding please

I am trying to put on 2" finished binding and am having trouble with the corners.

I cut my strips 9" and folded in half. I sewed it to the front of the quilt but when I started folding it over to the back the corners obviously do not work with the same technique as the 1/2" binding.

How do I do the corners, and do I need to start all over?

Thanks for your help,

I would cut four strips just 10" longer on each side and attach them. Then in the corner I would fold them to make the miter. If this can't work you can always just finish the corners the old fashion way. There is a tool called the binding thingy I would google it. If you wait for the binding thingy there is a great demo on youtube of how to use it. Go there now and type in binding thingy and watch the demo then you will know if you want to buy it. It's really cheap.

Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

Your binding is not cut wide enough.

For double fold binding it needs to be 6 times wider (ie 12") applied with a 2" seam from the edge.

For single fold binding it needs to be cut 4 times wider (ie8") applied with a 2"seam from the edge.

I usually add a quarter inch to allow for the thickness of the the quilt sandwich ( cutting 12 1/4or 8 1/4)

To use what you have cut, folded double, then you need to sew it on with a scant 1.5" seam allowance.

I am going to be doing this soon too, and was wondering how the corners would workout. I am going to leave the backing and batting of the quilt sandwich bigger and use just a single-fold binding. It is only for a wall hanging / lap size quilt. Thanks for posting this and the advice!

Archived