Quilt Designs Or Background First?

Ladies when using designs or patterns on your quilt do you quilt the designs before doing the background quilting or visaversa. New quilter. I do mostly stippling and love it. I am going to do my first detail pattern soon. Feathered border and feathered squares. I want to trapunto the detail pattern. Thanks for any suggestions you might have. This site is most helpful to the beginner. Thank you all.

Not sure , it depends on the type of pattern on quilt and how much background you have to do. I recently did feathered star and did background around star and then decided to stitch in the ditch with the star itself. It made it more stable and not move much. As I had blocks to do and sashing. But did go from end to end. and then had to turn and do border and sashing in freehand feathers on sashes and borders.

Thank you ladies.

I just qult with my home machines but I am hoping to have Milli. We are going to remodel a second garage in rear of house for my quilting and other hobbies. It is taking us a while because it is so HOT here in Texas.

Again thank you

Yes I do know how hot it is in Texas. I was born there and lived there for 14yrs and hated to heat. I now live in MO and love it. The weather in s.w. Mo is wonderfull. Just enough of each season to not get too tired of it. I lived in E. Texas around Athens & Tyler area. Family still there. I to do not have a APQS but hoping soon.

;)

I always do any stitch-in-the-ditch and pattern quilting first -- then background. That stabilizes the quilt, meaning that you have the 3 layers stitched together well before doing smaller detail work, so that doing stippling or any tighter background won't move it around. If you do it the other way it might work fine -- but you might stipple from left, to right, say, and end up moving things around so you end up with a pleat or a puff you don't want somewhere when you try to add the design lines later.

I have watched a number of videos and taken classes and have, though those things, received the message that it's better (in terms of avoiding problems you might have to rip out otherwise) to stabilize an area before doing the smaller, tighter work like the backgrounds.

Mary:)

It is hot here in Texas right now :cool:, so I'm glad I was able to move my Discovery into the house, out of my hot garage! Otherwise, I don't think I'd get a whole lot of quilting done :(!

If you are going to trapunto anything, you will want to stitch around your trapuntoed designs first with just your top and trapunto batting, then take it off the machine and cut away your excess batting. Then put the whole quilt on the machine. I quilt the top border first, then stitch around the trapunto pieces, do your quilting inside the design, and then your background stippling or whatever you will use. I do the bottom border when I come to it, then I turn the quilt and quilt the side borders. I hope this makes sense!

We moved to Hawaii 2 years ago and let me tell you, there is no weather better than here.

Aloha!!!

Nice to see your post here my talented little friend! Hope you recieved the little care package I sent before I left for WI.

Did you finish the binding on your wonderful class project yet Sheila? I bet the folks here would love to see what your talented longarms did! ;)

Hugs,

Archived