O Ring for the bobbin winder

Does anyone know what an O Ring for the bobbin winder is?? My Bobbin winder winds with uneven tension. Also what is the tension machine all about. I am having wicked time with loops on the back of my quilt. The little spring in the bobbin case fell out when I put in back in I think I might have bent the spring??? I am just trying to figure this all out.

Thanks for your help

Hi Connie

I think the O ring you are talking about is just the clear tubing that pushes on the bobbin shaft of the winder to keep the bobbin from slipping as it winds. A substitute in a pinch is a rubber band wrapped tightly around the shaft many times. Also, a piece of masking tape or painters tape wrapped around the shaft will work. Not rocket science--anything that keeps the bobbin on the shaft without spinning will work.

As for the bobbin spring--an important thing for tension control. It is a backlash spring (keeps the bobbin from spinning freely after you stop stitching.) The two thin metal bars should stick out from the back of the case slightly. You can pry them up with the end of a screwdriver to fix. Be sure the spring is seated fully in the bottom of the case-- it will only snap in one way and the spring flaps go up. You can order new springs from APQS I think and they are good to keep in your emergency kit.

Hope this helps.

Linda Rech

Olympia Wa

Archived