business phone line

I have a question about business lines. I wasn't planning on getting one, but have been hearing that it's required. Does anyone who is established in Michigan know if it's required to install a business line? Of course the phone company says I have to get one, but do I? I went to an arts and crafts show up north this weekend and my mother-in-law posed the question to one of the ladies at a booth and she said she didn't have a business line and didn't think it was required. I really hope I don't have to add one more expense! Thanks,

Barb

Quilted Covers

"Authorities" (and the phone company) will always tell you that whatever they are selling is required....they want your money!!!!

Are you working out of your home or do you have a store front???

My husband and I have had numerous businesses over the years. The longest one was a consulting company we had for 20 years and the office was in our home. We did not have a local business license, but there were no customers coming to our place - we went to the customers. We did have a business phone because we wanted the yellow page listing (and the professionalism that a phone separate from the one our children may have been answering).

I know you didn't even ask about licenses but I use this to illustrate a point. If I had called the local taxing authorities they would have told me I HAD to purchase the license, yet we went on our merry way for 20 years without one.

We had a small coffee shop once. It was in an historic downtown district, and we had 2 small cafe tables we put out on the sidewalk for patrons to enjoy. Can you believe the city sent us a letter informing us that we would have to pay $100 for a license to have the tables outside!!!???? We already had the appropriate business licenses, business phone line, food inspection permits...the red tape becomes endless. We refused to feed any more money into the coffers of the city government and moved the tables back inside.

End of rant. Sorry

I totally agree. I don't want to pay one more person for anything yet. I will be operating at home! I don't need a license to operate here, other than a certificate for sales tax! I plan to make a website eventually too, to get more business. If it becomes necessary to get a business line because it's interfering with my normal household, I will get one!

Barb

Quilted Covers

Here in Maine, a "business" phone line is almost twice what a personal line costs per month. The only difference is the yellow pages listing (which I missed for the first year anyway) so I just got a second personal line. When I moved to the shop I just moved the line and no one had any problems with that... and that $30.00 per month savings is a cone of King Tut and 2 yards of fabric :)

• 1 month later...

I too use my cell phone for business. The cost of a second line and then when you say "business" the nail you:mad:........forget it. We need to hold on to our hard earned money every way we can.

I'm new to longarm quilting but have been making baby quilts for a while now and quilting them on my Viking SE.........I decided to go longarm to become more cost efficent.........

Good luck to you!!:D

Archived