Just wondering---Can you Over Quilt?

I don’t do a lot of quilting for other people. Friends know I have a Millennium and I basically quilt for myself. Sometimes friends ask me to do a favor for someone they know and do a quilt for them. Usually everything goes great.

Several weeks ago, I quilted one for a lady and when she picked it up she thought it was “stiff” because of all the quilting----feathers basically. She wanted a soft, cuddly quilt!

I see all the beautiful quilting most of you do on posted pictures and I tried to do a good job for her. I will say I did more quilting on her quilt compared to what I do for myself . I thought that is was what she expected to see. My question is-----Can you over quilt and how do you know when to stop?

Wish I had taken a picture of her quilt to post, but I was so surprised at her reaction that I forgot. Guess you can see it bothers me that she wasn’t as pleased as I thought she would be! I don’t take disappointment well.

Becky

Becky,

I tend to do a lot of quilting but do try to keep it even or it will be too stiff for a cuddly quilt. With that being said, batting has much more to do with the finished product, IMHO. If you use something like warm&natural it will be much more stiff than it will be with wool or dream puff. My favorite batting is wool and dream puff but other equally soft results can be acheived form Hobbs Heirloom and QD poly. I have samples of all of the QD line and plan to make up samples for my customers. I will cut the samples in half after quilting and wash them so they can see the before and after as well. This is on my wish list of things to do. I find that every customer has their own idea of what they like. I have samples of many of the different battings so they can see/feel for themselves.

Becky, yes you can over quilt, but that is normally done with teeny weeny stipple, McTavishing or something very very dense...and if you have a stiff batting to begin with it just adds to it.

I would bet once the quilt is washed and dried, it won't feel that stiff and she will love it as you do. I have had several that I thought were really stiff and after several washings, they are now my most fav's to snuggle under.... so unless you made it so it would literally stand in the corner on its own, I don't think you need to worry about it...with unwashed batting and fabrics, it will all get better in the wash.

Dear Becky,

Since today I know from firsthand how hard it is to deal with a client which is not pleased about your work. It just hurts, since you put your heart in the quilt as well. I'm sorry for you.

The other ladies gave great advice. I cannot add to that, except for one thing. In my humble experience I've learned that very dense quilting with feathers makes a quilt a bit stif. I've just experimented with polar fleece as a backing fabric, used no additional batting, quilted the whole thing very intense with feathers and made the most soft cuddle quilt ever!

I too am confident that when she washes the quilt...it will be cuddly soft.

The first quilt I ever sent out to have quilted, 3 years ago or so, I too was shocked at how stiff it was. I have to say, that it is my absolute favorite quilt of all time. The softest quilt I have ever slept under. It had 80/20 batting in it if I remember correctly, and the back looks like leather. Gorgeous tight quilting on a brown marbly backing. :)

Hi Becky,Yes, you can overquilt and I Ditto what everybody said, but I would not worry about it dear, it will be soft and cuddly when washed.

The 1st and foremost thing I ask when given a quiltop to work on is "How will this Quilt be used and the budget for longarm quilting?" Then I give them suggestions as to what batting (I carry a variety of brands and types) and type of quilting will work best with their Quilt Top and their Budget.

Corey

One thought crossed my mind and that was how many quilts has this person made? If it is her first or close to it, many people think that we make quilts like they can buy at the local department stores. There is very little quilting on most of those. Just a thought. If you do any more for others, just ask them what they think should be done. If they want soft and cuddly, then recommend a softer batting and visa/versa on a stiffer quilt. Don't let her disappointment get to you. You know that you did your very best and it is hard to receive criticism when you have put your all into it. And remember that some people are never satisfied. :)

I’m sorry I haven’t been able to get back to my post for several days----new puppy keeping me busy!

Thank you for all the encouraging backup. I think you may be right about washing the quilt. I will call her and suggest she should wash it. It was a “Turning Twenty” type quilt in shades of green and light beige fabrics. She liked the quilting on one of my quilts called “Large Frisky Feathers” . It should really look pretty when washed. Probably will make it softer too. She brought me a 20/80 batting so it had 20% Polyester and wasn’t all cotton.

Thanks again for your ideas.

Becky

I agree - the batting make a huge difference. One more thought for you....

I have a sampler with different background fills and one section has a meander with different densities. Tiny-micro - small - medium and large. If it's a new client - I ask her how she dense she likes her quilting, or use it when I am suggesting something.

hope this helps.

In my opinion, yes you can have too much quilting which will make a quilt stiff. I personally like soft cuddly quilts and it is amazing how many people come to me for that reason. I can quilt for 'show' as I call it, but usually I quilt to cuddle with.

I always ask my customers what they are doing with the quilt and do they want it to be cuddly. Quilts they are going to hang get more quilting, as I don't want them drooping, and they will never be for cuddling!

Archived