Favorite/Best Sewing Table??

Lisa I'm not sure if you're referring to my home made table .... no my bobbin is on the top. But it wouldn't matter because the machine sits on an open front shelf.

Originally posted by njquiltergirl

That looks neat! I like that you do not need an acrylic insert.

My DSM's bobbin is below the arm...so I 'd have to lift it up to clean it out. Is that waht you do...or does yours lift up with a lever or something? That lift feature seems to be a key feature of the sewing cabinet companies.

Thanks,

Lisa

post--13461902995175_thumb.jpg

i have a table with a lift and the only time i move the lift is when i am giving the bobbin area a cleaning - and really, i could just gently lean it back and clean it out if i didn't have the lift feature. sometimes i wind up lying it back anyway cause its a better angle for me to see. changing the bobbin can be done by feel. the lift is a nice thing to have, and i love my table. but i don't think it's all that.

Sandy,

Yes, I was speaking about your table...thanks.

I like the way yours has that shelf (as many others have shown in pix). Bonnie sent me some pix that had obe she made as well. How did you attach the shelf to your table top, Sandy? I notice you have a piece of wood - glued?? - then the shelf is bolted into it...your top surface looks smooth and untouched. Is it a laminate top, like a formica kitchen counter surface? :)

Funny, I'm "dreaming" of a nice new table with the lift because of the smooth, flat surface and my bobbin access below the table...and a number have said that is the least important feature! That is why I love this group...we all have so much to share!!

Thanks,

Lisa

Hi again Sandy...I just checked your Webshots Pix...wow, you did an awesome job! Love those cord spots. Where did you find them? I also noticed how you seemed to have put the screws into the bottom of the top - part way up, keeping the table top untouched. It must be thick. Great job. Thanks for sharing the pix. Where ever did you find that table with the carnking level adjuctment? Very cool. I'll have to check Staples for some thing like this.

Thanks!

Lisa

DH built me a WONDERFUL sewing table, 6ft x 6ft. Has cabinets all the way around for storage. Only problem is, I have NO clue how to put a photo on here. Use to have my photos all in Photobucket, but started finding MY pictures in weird places on the web, so I shut that down.

Would love to show it to ya if someone would let me email them the pic and they could post it.

I have a 25 year old horn cabinet. Its best feature is that the machine sits flush with surface.

The lift is quite stiff and you have to stand up to operate it so I only use it if I need freearm sewing. Its much quicker to put a bobbin in just by feel.

The position I sit in is not too good as my knee hits the side of the cabinet but I think the newer models give you a better position with more floor space for the foot control.

Before I got my Millie for quilting I used to move the sewing machine out of my cabinet and put it into the side of an old wardrobe with a hole cut in it sitting on two trestle legs with a picnic table with 2 bits of wood on it under the machine!. I set this up in the middle of the spare room and set up another trestle table behind so I had a huge work surface for large quilts to rest on.

If you have the space and money get the biggest unit you can,if not you can make something very functional for very little outlay, just alarge counter top and a bit of DIY with a jigsaw.

Yvette

• 2 weeks later...

I have several tables, some came with the machines and some were purchased at auctions. DH did make one from a plan from Rocklers. The drawers are a bit hard to open but may have to be planed and waxed a bit more. I have several commercial machines with formica topped tables. Only the one DH made has the lift as the DSE is in that one. I use it mostly for the embroidery but it is good for piecing too. You don't have to remove the embroidery unit to do regular sewing. I only have one portable a 221 Featherweight that I rarely use unless I am doing a demo at sewing guild, although the last demo I did I used my 9900 Singer. They wanted to see how to use attachments, creative feet etc. I never close my machines. They are in use every day. Merry Christmas to all and a Happy Healthy New year too.

• 10 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...