Newbie- batik top and back thread breaking-Quilt finished!

RoseCity Quilter

Hi all,

I have been silently taking in all your great advice since getting my Milli in June. I have been doing quite well untill yesterday. Put on a customer quilt both top and back are batik. Customer wanted two layers of Hobbs 80\\20. Using Rainbow thread on top and bottom line pre-wounds on bottom. My upper thread breaks every few inches. Same thread previous quilt was working fine. Started with 4.0 needle, changed to 3.5 then tried 4.5. Made so differnce. Help now what?

Ardelle

Hi,

Welcome. I love rainbow threads, for now, I am staying away from polyester threads when I quilt batiks because the combination gives me a lot of problems with tension and breakage. A longarmer friend told me she has the same issues.

I use cotton threads on top and bottom line or so fine on the bottom when I quilt on batiks.

Corey

Hi Ardelle,

I quilt batiks top & bottom all the time & never have any problems.

I use Rainbows & bottom line with wool batting. The first & only time I have had problems with my thread breaking

I gave up & changed thread to a different colour but still Rainbows. It worked fine & the only thing I could think of was that by rethreading

with a different colour I had altered the thread path & that maybe my machine did not have the thread going through all the little holes &

things that it should.

Goodluck! I know how frustrating this can be.

Thanks Heidi and Corey,

I am pretty sure it is not catching on the tread path as it was working fine the previous quilt. I am doing a simple panto, and did manage to get it going well for half a row when I changed to a 4.5 needle, but then it started breaking again. Corey if I change thread now to a cotton I will have to frog a whole row of stitching. But then again if that is the trouble it would be worth it. I cannot get back to it until Tuesday to try again so more suggestions welcome. And thank you.

How loose is your bobbin? Go really loose in the bottom and on top too. That might help. We tend to string our machines too tight. Make sure your bobbin area is blown out nice and clean without debris and WD40 and oiled well. Rub some alcohol on the insides of the discs on top with a Q tip. Keeping our machines maintained and clean helps a lot with its performance. I have been successful running Rainbows and such... you just have to go looser all around.

Well, I managed to finished this quilt! It seemed like it took many things in combo to help. I used the alternate threading like for King tut thread, I really loosened my quilt sandwich, and I stitched the pattern really, really slowly (slow was better than stopped!). The next quilt is on and no problems. I think it had to have been the combination of two layers of batting with batik top and back. I will try and post a picture of the finished quilt tomorrow- no time today.

:D;):cool::)

Archived