Sewers Aid

Ritathequilter

I live in northern Canada where it's winter 8 months of the year and where it's really dry. I've also had a lot of problems with thread breakage with my Milli. So I went thru the help sections here and I see where Sewers Aid has been suggested a lot....and I've never used it. I always thought it would gum up the thread, the needle or both, and leave the thread useless after the first use.

So can someone tell me more about Sewers Aid? What's it made of and will it wreck my spool of thread and gum up the needle? What is the function of the Sewers Aid?

Thanks for your help.

Rita

NWT, Canada

I have used it a lot - especially for King Tut. It has never gummed up the needle or left any trace on the quilt. I believe it is a silicone product & the theory is that it smooths the thread so that it can run through the machine better. Cotton threads by nature are not as smooth as many of the polyesters, so in theory (and I have found in practice) the very! light layer of Sewers Aide smooths the thread. It is such a light layer on the thread that you will never even know it is there. I run 4 generous stripes down the cone (enough to go through several layers of thread) - this seems to be enough for me. I quilt until I start noticing problems and then add 4 more stripes. I have heard that some people add more, but I have never found it necessary to add more than just my 4 stripes. Since I add the Sewers Aid to just the outside layers of the cone of thread, I have never been worried about long term problems. I seem to use what I have treated so when I am done, it is like a clean cone of thread. I am sure others will have suggestions as to how they use Sewers Aide, but this has worked very effectively for me.

Archived