Here is a quilt that I finished . The blocks were bought at an auction and it is vintage fabric. The piecer is 93 and I don't know how long it was made in blocks. The blocks was the Twirlling whirling and triangle at each end. I have a little planning to figure what to make of the little octagon blocks. I could only do it 2 ways that I found, but that does not mean there are more ways. I went to fabric shop and got vintage replica fabric(little bows in orange) for border. I also had to buy more mint green as there was not enough. It was close but not exact but it works well. If you did not know, you would not see the difference. Now I hope the picture works.

post--13461903046283_thumb.jpg

Please help with some ideas to quilt top. I am coming up blank. It does not matter how to quilt it as I can do freehand and motifs and pantos. I want it custom. I have a few weeks free and want to finish this top. Please ideas. I guess I have been burning at both ends and can not come up with a plan.

Hi Nita, If you are going custom, I would put a simple pattern in the swirls as not to pack them down, background fill maybe pebbles in the white, and the star area simple line curves. This way your swirls will stand out. It is alot of work but would be beautiful. The border feathers and piano keys. I have some ideas on my blog or email me a picture of your quilt and I will send you a drawing. I hope this helps.

Rebecca

Nita,

How about if you do curved pinwheel feathered swirls, starting from the center of each swirl and reaching out to the tip of the green triangle. If you have each of those swirls going in the same direction, it will create a lot of movement on your quilt.

It is certainly a lovely top and it will be wonderful once it has been quilted - quilting DOES make the quilt.

I love this pattern. Sometimes with vintage quilts we try to keep the quilting looking "period" so that the quilting matches the quilt. In the case of this quilt, I agree with Hawaii Barbara, enhance the blades on the windmill, push the white fabric to the back with lots of backgound design such as McTavishing or maybe those little swirls. Then something in the triangles that form the "star" look. This pattern is in one of my Kansas City Star books...I love it.

Mary Beth

I think you and Rebecca are right about the background in white. Can you see the edges on sides in white that I made to fit before the border. What should I put in there. pebbles or something that matches the white around the twirly? What about swags with feathers in the border with only the one side with feathers then the other or? How did you get the Kansas City star book.

Swags would be nice in the border. I'm not sure about the feathers because of the pattern in the fabric. Yes, I did see the white are, I think I would keep all the white background areas the same design. The Kansas City Star books are available at most LQS here, not sure if they are everywhere, but I assume they are. The thing I love about those books is that they give the history of the block shown. The thing I hate about the books, they were written for template piecing. Someone needs to do a makeover and give rotary cutting patterns as well. I think they would sell more books. For me, they are great reference books, but I refuse to cut out fabric with templates...ick! :)

What category of Books gives vintage pattern details?

What does the book call this pattern? I did not get any instructions with the octagon blocks. All the pieces had a count #paper on top of each different piece. I tried to find the pattern and name and finally found a simular pattern with just the whirly twirly not the stars.

Okay Nita, from what I can find, the name of your quilt is "Whirlygig", because of the center section...that makes sense. The book I was thinking of is "Star Quilts Outside The Box Hexigon Patterns from the Kansas City Star. It doesn't actually show this quilt, but it shows the center, and several others, all in hexigon shapes, then different setting variations with the triagle setting that forms a star. The star setting is not shown with the whirlygig, but you could use that setting. I knew this quilt looked familiar.

Thanks Mary Beth,

I have been looking and looking . I just knew that you knew it or seen it. Thank you APQS for letting things like this come here for quilty advice , help and answers.

I will post when done. It may take me awhile because of weather. My basement is not heated and we use allot of wood in our wood stove and not turning on the furnace. Save that $$$ lol