So disappointed

Well, I finally tried practicing with my machine again today. It continues to drive like a truck and I am so disappointed. I leveled the table awhile back, took me hours to do it but finally all was level.

I've cleaned the rails and wheels, tried everything but nothing seems to fix it. I thought I had it once the table was leveled but there's apparently something else wrong. I've had my machine for several months now and it probably has less then 10 hours on it because it doesn't run smooth and I'm tired of battling with it.

I have the edgerider wheels on the machine and have ordered them for the rails but they won't be here until sometime in January. Even so, I would expect the machine to run smoothly without having to man handle it. It's not the channel locks cause they're not on.

Could it just be the machine itself, I did purchase it used. Shouldn't used machine run as smooth as new ones? I guess I"m just feeling a little sorry for myself right now - boo hoo:mad:.....Mercedes

Have you reached out to the two dealers in your area to have them come take a look at it.....maybe there is something wrong and a house visit is in need. Haven't a clue what that will cost you, but its better than not having it right and not being happy with a $18,000 boat anchor....;)

Mercedes, Only one more suggestion I can think of, and that is check the axles the carriage has and see if there is a stray chunk of thread, or something that would be binding a wheel. even if it is just a wee tiny piece, it can cause all kinds of problems.

RitaR

I don't have the la on a frame model, but am wondering if it wouldn't be worth your time to visit the local dealer and see how their machines drive. Then you can also ask them for other suggestions for yours. I wouldn't wait for the new wheels to come. It would be great to get the problem fixed even before those make it even better.

I must say, that I know what you are feeling. I got my millie about 18 months ago and was sooo disappointed. I couldn't get it to do anything I wanted it too. Through a lot of encouragement from this group, I kept plugging along. I had my table leveled, got edgeriders, took my thread cutter off. Most importantly, I PPP'd and kept tweeking things. I now could not be happier with my machine. It works like a charm. It is so true that you need to bond with your machine. I know how my machine moves and now I can make it do what I need it to. Be patient. It may take some time to get it tweeked to your needs, but it can happen.

I think you have received some very sound advice. You could continue to adjust the wheels, tweak this, loosen that...but if you are already frustrated, and it sounds like you are, then I would call my local dealer. Knowing most of the APQS dealers, they are happy to help you with anything they can. Some times there is a service call, most of the time I don't think there is. You can wait unitl you get the new wheels since it is almost January, or you could see if they could come over just to check to see if the table is warpped or whatever. I don't know what could be the problem. I tried to adjust my wheels to make my machine easier to use and ended up spending the next year or so trying to get it back to a sweet spot. Whew...that was not fun. I know it is frustrating when you want to practice.

Mercedes,

It does sound like your wheels need adjusting, although I can't say without seeing them whether they are too tight or too loose. Check out the posts at http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=13097 for an idea of what properly-adjusted wheels look like. Patty Butcher has posted the best visual aids for wheel adjustments.:cool:

Do have one of the local APQS Sales Reps come out and check out your machine - it shouldn't be that difficult to move. And if it's somehow a "bonding" thing between you and your machine, then you'll find that the Rep can make your machine move the way it's supposed to.

I would come check your machine, but I'm about 300 miles east of you. Although it would make a great excuse to visit my boys in Seattle.....;)

Mercedes, don't give up hope. It's probably something so simple that when you discover it, you'll want to give yourself a V8 slap on the forehead. I think your cams are not adjusted correctly. If they aren't at the same setting then your carriage will be off balance and your wheels won't move properly. Hang in there. :)

There didn't look to be any grease on the Q-tips when cleaning the wheels, it was just black. I'll take a look at Patty's pictures and see how that looks compared to my machine. I'd have someone come out now but that would be twice the money since I'm planning to have someone come out to put on the edgeriders and check out the machine. I hope there's nothing major wrong with it. Gosh, what if the frame is bent - does that mean a whole new frame?

Mercedes

Hi Sherry,

Since I purchased this used and normally used is "as is" I felt it was up to me to figure this out. I really appreciate your offer and will call to see if we can schedule a time. I was hoping all along that I could figure this out. I'm not the type of person to give up on anything. Thanks....Mercedes

Hi Mercedes. If you added Edgerider wheels, then the leveller bar needs to be raised too. Also the quilt top roller. Check and see if either of these are preventinging your machine from running smooth. Also, when I first set up my machine I was advised to loosen all the cross bar bolts (the round ones that go along the length of the table - I think there are five. Once they are all loosened then start tightening them simultaneously - first lightly, then all tighter and tigher until they are tight. This helped me. Hope it helps you too.. The distance across the table should be the same all the way down.

Having seen Sherry's work, I can't believe it will be a big problem with the machine. I see a forehead slap in your future and a lot of fun when you get it running right. bet it is just a wheel set up problem.

On the other hand I do know how you feel. My machine wasn't keen on stitching at all for the first 8 months I had it. Frustrated? Oh yes. I think it was fortunate there was so much distance between me and APQS. However the machine and I get along OK now.

Ferret

Archived