What kind of interfacing for t-shirts quilts

I can't remember the brand of the stuff I use, but I get it at Joann's....it in with the interfacing and when you touch it, it looks and feel much like nylon slip material. It is light like that and has a length grain as well as a cross cut grain, and it comes in both black and white. If you would like the next time I go I can get the brand name and report back.

I use the meduim weight fusible webbing on my customers and is still flexable and easy to run through my sewing machine when attaching the material to them. Tried the heavier one but had problem with the needle not wanting to punch into it. So many new things out there to try. Hope you find one is fitting for you.

Definitely use the fuse knit type of interfacing. Joanns is a good source.

Do not use the non-woven pellon products as they shrink and pull away from the fabric over time. I know we've all seen this happen in poorly made garments that use it. Non-woven pellon or interfacing should only be used in craft projects not garment construction.

I would like to make a t shirt quilt but would someone like to tell me what to do after fusing the webbing to the t shirt? Would I stitch around the t shirt to keep the edges down? I used to do this technique with t shirts ( in the 80's) & I had to either sew down the edges of teh t shirt or go around the edges with those little bottles of paint.

quilting business, I just made at-shirt quilt and after ironing on the fusiknit ( from Joanns) I cut the necessary size and when stitching it to the sashing to make the blocks/rows even, you therefore lock the edges...is that what you mean? I used t-shirt fabric for the sashing too...so the entire top is the same weight...I used fleece for the backing and no batting and tied it..but your quest. wasn't about the quilting just the top, right? Elaine

Archived