Quilting Progression

Okay, I have the 8" swag templates on their way...but now I have a question of any of you that have used them:

1) Do you recommend turning the quilt for the side borders?

and

2) If so, what should the progression be?

I've been asked to quilt our Opportunity Quilt again this year. Its a busy French Braid, so I plan to do "Cutie-Patootie" in the body and the swags in the outer, large, border. I've been thinking about this and know that this panto may cause the borders to wave on the sides if not nailed down...so...

Should I just do a super job of basting, or would you suggest SID around the inside of the outer border (clear is mud?:o) and then do all the borders first???

I'm hoping that this will be a moot point and I won't have to turn the quilt and can do the sides as I progress down the body...hoping...keeping my fingers crossed...

I would do the inside body of the quilt first and do the top and bottom and side borders last.

But as you are rolling the quilt to do the panto, I would pin the top and side borders every 5-10 inches to keep it from shifting. It should be OK.

Something to consider in the long run: I personally think it's easier, less time, and less stress if you turnthe quilt to do the borders. This way you get to see the entire border all at the same time and work through it, mark your measuring points, etc...

Just my (always very humble) $.02 :)

Dory,

I would do the SID around the upper border and a little down the sides. Then I would do the panto in the middle. After the first pass of the panto do the swag on the upper border and pin the snot out of the sides as you roll forward. Continue down the quilt until you get to the other end. Do that swag. Now turn the quilt. It really goes quickly to turn the quilt and it will be so much easier to do the whole border instead of a portion at a time. Have a glass of wine and piece of chocolate it will help the stress! :P:P:P:P:P

Archived