Loops,Loops Loops

Hey Ladies,

I need some advise before I sell the machine. I am very discouraged:( 1 quilt ago I noticed loops strung with a tight thread in the back of a quilt I was doing. I though it was my bobbin so I got a new case, put in in and the machine ran smooth, no threads breaking. Saturday I put a queen size quilt on the the beast, I noticed some loops so I took out 2 blocks, adjusted the top tension and began again. this time i put a light underneath so i could see my stitches. I did 2-3 passes x 88" everything looked great, so away I went....When I took the quilt off the machine, I had big patches with loops and tight thead and patches where then patches where the stitches were great??? any suggustions??

Thanks

I don't know much about the newer machines, cuz I'm still stuck in the ancient history era, but I can say that if I have this problem its usually in the how the bobbins are wound....if you don't have them wound the same (say one is looser than the next one etc) sometimes I get spots where the loops are really bad and then they get tighter as the bobbin unwinds to a tight spot and loose again when the thread is loose on the bobbin.

If I don't check my tension on the bobbins each time I find that they don't all sew off the same. OR the big no no I find something is that I miss the last loop on the bobbin where the thread goes under that flat spring...then I get major loops

Guest Linda S

Connie - bobbin tension is something you need to pay a lot of attention to. I check the tension of each bobbin before I put it in the the machine. Do you have a Towa tension gauge? It is worth it's weight in gold. Also, what kind of bobbins are you using? I have found that I cannot use pre-wound bobbins. They seem to spin too quickly in the bobbin case and I get loops at steep corners and points. I wind my own bobbins and I check the tension on each and every one I put in the machine.

Linda

Archived