Question on changing needle

I just changed the needle on my machine. When I run it with no thread, it makes a slight ticking noise as the needle goes up and down. Am I supposed to hear this noise or have I done something wrong. I have the groove of the needle to the front and the scarf in the back. The needle is pushed all the way up and I used another needle to ensure the needle hole is straight front to back.

If that little tick noise is normal, then fine but I don't want to run my machine until I'm sure. Thanks! Mercedes

When you run your finger nail down the grove of the needle that is the front...the indented side is the back......

If you are getting a clicking sound I would almost guarantee your needle is in backwards....no sound should ever come from needles.

Double check and let us know.....

OR...you have the needle turned to far to the left or right and the hook isn't passing the indented space correctly....double check that as well to make sure the needle isn't turned to far...the groove is a thread guide so it needs to be pretty straight on...however some of us run it turned to either 6:30 or 6:25.... 6 oclock being 100% straight on.

You get that little ticking noise when the hook hits the needle. Not that big of a deal. The new needle you put in might

have a slight bend to it or the one you took out had a bend in it. If it bothers you to much you have to loosen the rotary hook

and move it away from the needle.

Might want to try a different needle first.

Michele

Originally posted by Mercedes

I put in a new needle and it still has a slight tick. I'm not ready to try and adjust the rotary hook - yikes! If this tick is OK, then I'll just go ahead and sew with it. It won't hurt anything - right? Mercedes

Actually if its hitting to hard it could dull your hook tip on the assembly and that is costly about $125 for a new hook assembly.... without standing there and looking or hearing I can't tell what you are calling a clicking sound.... if you feel comfortable enough take the needle plate off and with a needle watch as you hand turn the needle up and down and see how direct its hitting the needle....if its actually PUSHING the needle....and not actually gliding by it...I wouldn't go any further till you can find someone who can hear it.... IF its gliding by and just barely pushing it away...then continue...with caution... You really shouldn't be hearing a clicking sound...or at least I don't on mine...

Mercedes,

The needle just kisses the hook as it passes by. As long as you replaced the needle with one that was the same (ie: same brand) you should be fine. The slight ticking noise was probably there before but unnoticed. If you are feeling really unsure, call Sherry and ask her if the machine did that before.

I checked everything again, and I think you're right, my machine just has this very slight tick that is probably normal for it and I just never noticed it before because this is the first time I've changed the needle. I need to get better in tune with the noises my machine makes so I'll know when something sounds different. That will come as I use it more.

I'm going to give her a WD40 wash and re-oil on the bobbin later today. I have an air compressor that I've never tried out so this will be a good experience for me and I'm sure Mille will appreiate the deep cleaning instead of the normal brush out.

Thanks everone! Mercedes

The clicking sound might be that the bobbin assembly might need cleaning and oiling. Have you removed the needle plate, wiped clean of debris, then cleaned your bobbin area (blow out, then squirt generously with WD40, wipe out and then a few drops of oil in the hook area?

When I remove my needle plate, I blow out down through the hole (while machine is running) and hit it with WD40 while machine is spinning (slowly) and then I also oil the moving parts with a few drops from top down, and on the hook too. I don't remove the needle plate every time, just once a month or so.

Originally posted by Mercedes

I put in a new needle and it still has a slight tick. I'm not ready to try and adjust the rotary hook - yikes! If this tick is OK, then I'll just go ahead and sew with it. It won't hurt anything - right? Mercedes

Don't start messing with the hook rotation. The ticking is NORMAL, as these machines are timed very tight. The hook just kisses the needle as it passes and that is the sound you hear. It would be much louder if the needle were in backwards.

Just another post to confirm that slight clicking is OK, especial now Sherry advised that she always used a finer needle. The hook and needle need to touch ever so slightly to get the beautiful stitches, now its just touching a teeny bit more. Stay with the MR 4s until yuou get the feel of the machine

Good luck

sue in australia

I did the WD40 Wash and put in a smaller needle just to see - no tickinig. I've put back the MR4 and will use that while I'm still learning AND after the WD40 wash the tick with the MR4's is almost non existent so the intense cleaning must have also helped. Thanks everyone! Mercedes

Rule of thumb - at least for me.............. any time I start hearing any extra noises that means it is time to give the extra clean and oil. It is amazing how big a difference that can make - especially on my Millie - not just with the little noises, but also the stitch quality. I find with my Innova, that with the last of each bobbin, I get a little more noise - it is thirsty for some oil. Innova says to add a drop or 2 of oil with each bobbin change & they are right.......... I have always deep cleaned with every few bobbin changes. Things just seem to go better.

I have always had such a little click and have learned to listen the different sound if it needs cleaning in between my regular cleaning schedule. I am glad you checked though. shows how much you care. have fun bonding and learning the "language" your girl talks

If you have never noticed this ticking-clicking noise before---then something has changed or is different for sure.

A good cleaning and oiling may help.

Or--change the needle one more time, only this time check that you have the needle shaft pushed all the way up before you tighten the needle holding screw. It it just slips down even a tiny bit, you can get this clicking noise.

That's all I can think go do as I've had this problem in the past with machines. Sewing and the long arm.

Hope you can correct this as it's worrisome if it's a new sound.

Archived