Help! My Precious German Sheddding Dog is now a German Shredding Dog...

Yes, my sweet, adorable, loving, tender Rika has decided to chew the edge of my king size bed quilt. It's the gold quilt I had at MQS in 2009. So she got about 2 inches deep and 4 inches along the binding chewed off the edge and all the way through three layers. How the hell do I fix this?

And, does anyone want to adopt a slightly used German shepherd? :) She's really cute.

post--1346190305866_thumb.jpg

My lab did a similar thing only she didn't just chew. SHE SWALLOWED!!! A vet bill, x-rays, puke puddles, and finally a tube of slimy medicine to get the fabric to "move on through"!!! :o Honestly, I had to have a serious talk with her about how to appreciate a quilt. I hope you find a good solution to mending your wonderful quilt. Mine wasn't as special as yours. Good luck.

She is awfully cute! I mean...just look at those eyes. I'm sure she didn't mean to do it....some twisted part of her brain just spoke to her. Can you trim the quilt off, then turn it so that the chewed out part is on the back side of the bed where no one can see it? Other than that....I don't know...maybe like Vickie said...take it out of her hide...so to speak :D

She is just too darn cute! My Mom always gave our new puppies along the way a piece of two by four to chew on. It saved most of all the treasures in our house. Sorry to hear about your quilt. Maybe trim and bind the area then add the story to your quilt lable! Oh well, it was just a thought! LOL

Hahaha! Yeah, I could piece in some of her hide, fur included. That would look cool. haha

She's four years old now and her puppy chewing days are long gone. She's never messed with anything in the house, except when she was a baby and of course I had tons of chew toys and watched her like a hawk. She's got the taste of "quilt" now, so I can't trust her! She might do it again. That little turd. I still have gold fabric remnants from when I pieced this and also fabric that matches the binding, so I suppose I could trim that edge of the quilt off a couple of inches and add new binding. Sheesh. Some people's kids....

Rika must have wanted your undivided attention. She looks adorable. Sorry about your quilt. I repaired my friend's grandbaby's quilt last year that their dog chewed about the same size through. I had just enough pieces of the leftover fabric to "fix" it. Of course the quilting didn't quite match but they were just happy to get it back "unruined". Years ago one of my beloved dogs thought I was spending too much time crocheting a doiley and she decided to help "piece" it together when I was out of the room. I, like you, didn't go balistic and just unravelled back to where I could start again (several hours worth). That Rottweiller definitely got my attention. Please don't let the quilt come between the two of you. A quilt is lovely and can keep you warm, but a puppy can give you unconditional love. :) I bet Rika's very sorry, momma Shana.:o

P. S. My favorite seam ripper has chew marks on it from my very first dog after I got married twenty-some years ago.

Ruohhhhh...Rika is in the dog house. I have a quilt that was the 2nd quilt I ever made and it was for my son, age 4. Well his puppy always slept with him and one night I heard this funny noise so I got up to investigate. There was our precious Bandit (now in doggy heaven) chewing on this quilt that was hand pieced and hand quilted! I still have the quilt, holes and all! I left the room and told hubby he better go take care of her or I might just have to hurt her. LOL she didn't come near me for a couple of days. She never chewed another one so maybe Rika got it out of her to. I would just piece in new stuff and get it fixed up.

OK ladies thanks for all of your support and advice and nice words about my Rika. She is such a honey-pup, I can't be mad at her. So... here's the easiest, fastest solution. I'm just gonna rotary cut the entire side of that quilt about 1.5 inches to the chew marks and add another binding on that edge and call it done. Thankfully I still have plenty of the same fabric I used for the binding.

Oh, Shana...that hurts! Ya just have to wonder what possessed her after all this time. She's adorable.

I think I would have been more surprised to hear you say you had gone ballistic. When our dear boy tore the only unscathed antique quilt I have, it would have been more normal for me to "lose it", but I didn't...now there's a surprise. He had never done that before either. Now this is a dog that could eat a sofa in an afternoon if he took a hankerin' to...but he's been a perfect boy. But from then on, he must have enjoyed the ripping sound because he proceeded to do the same to whatever bed covering was on when he was alone. We started shutting the door and may have broken the habit, it's been 9+ months...but we're not ready to find out, either.

If you saw this dog do his nightly dance, you'd see why I couldn't get mad. After first saying all dogs have a bedtime routine and then viewing his video, our vet said "Geez, if you didn't know him you'd think he was deranged".

Anita

Oh, Shana, Rika's so precious. You're brave to put the quilt on your bed. I never put mine on because the girls like to nap on the beds. I know dog trainers tell you not to let them, but I've always done it. Your solution is really good.

Did you make up her name, or does it have some special meaning?

Archived