Help! My Precious German Sheddding Dog is now a German Shredding Dog...

Shana,

My "cute" papillion puppy Leah chews through just about anything and in a flash too! She usually does this when she is bored or mad at us for not giving her the attention she wants. I got out a lap quilt I made when hubby was overseas and I was Stateside and unemployed. I had gotten Georgia Bonesteel's (sp) book Lap quilting and made a lap quilt, pieced on the machine but hand quilted, not a real pretty one but my first! In no time she had put a hole right through it and later chewed a portion of the binding! She is Jennifer's dog so I didn't feel too bad about giving her the business!! Hard to say which of our dogs has been more distructive, but I don't think our Shih Tsu (Tedi-a girl) has ever damaged anything! NEXT TIME GET A SHIH TSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

hi shana -

idk what you SHOULD do, but i know what i would do with frannie, my lab. i know cause i have done it many times...over and over.

1. give her your "meanest" face

2. melt under the spell of her "aren't i the cutest dog ever" face

3. ask her nicely not to damage your quilts while trying not to tell her how cute she is

4. try not to pet her for a few minutes

5. fluff her bed (which is under lola)

6. wait for the next doggie disaster

7. repeat

:D

Shana! I'm sooo sorry about your quilt!

I have one that the dog took a bite out of - my Grandma made it for my (first) wedding. I didn't appreciate it at the time, but it's now a cherished part of my collection...

I hope you fix it and that silly dog stays away from it!!!!

(((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Shana I know you will do a good job of the repair. I am sorry it was your beautiful gold quilt. Obviously she has good taste. Just tell her all her "Aunties" love her and she can call any of us at any time rather than chew your stuff. that ought to satisfy her. :P She is a beauty

Shana, ouch!! I had to do that to an Ohio State quilt I made for my SIL. Their dog got ahold of it and chewed up a big part of a corner of the border. I was able to fix it, and the whole quilt was just stippled, so I was able to make the quilting just fit in and I had some binding left, so I was able to replace that part of it! By just looking at it, you can't tell... good luck fixing it! linda Your dog is a SWEETIE~~~~!!!!!! so cute~

Shana,

when my dog does something, I blame my husband.

Seriously, my Samson (God rest his soul) was a shredder. Until the day he died. Maybe Rika needs to go to the vet for a checkup to make sure there are no mouth problems--maybe his teeth/gums are hurting???

Rose Hall

Originally posted by kreacher

The best cure for this type of behaivor in a dog is excerise. A tired dog is a content dog.

Kreacher, trust me, in the 17 years of owning dogs (all German Shepherds) never has one chewed anything or has had issues -- ever. My dogs are very content, level headed, healthy and get plenty of exercise, and are part of my family's daily lives. This is an isolated situation and only happened one time.

Julia, our Papillion never chews a thing except his food. Our Lhasa Apso will chew anything that gets in her way. Actually, they have a scheme and it works well. Tha Lhasa can not climb or jump as she has had knee replacements but the Pap can. Soooooo, the Pap jumps up, gets down the papers, and the Lhasa chews it. Yes, we call it "reading." And she is a well read dog.

Shana, so sorry to hear about your quilt. I guess you have to determine if the things that go along with having pets is worth the joy they bring. I say yes and I know you do too. How would we live without those sweet faces? This will be a great story for the grandkids one day!

Bummer about the quilt!! Guess she thought it might taste as good as it looked!! I'm sure you'll fix it up in no time!

My first "kid" a tiny toy poodle, was a little terror when he was a puppy. All 3.5 pounds of him. One time he got into a whole pack of toliet paper and just distroyed it!! It looked like a snow storm in my laundry room! too funny!

But now as he ages he prefers to sleep on the couch most days. But I still treasure the memories of him protecting my children as they slept. That little dog slept on the floor right next to the baby crib for months after they were born! Once they were older, he felt comfortable letting them "sleep alone" and would return to his normal bed.

Oh Shana,

I finally quit laughing! This is the first time I've ever posted on this forum, I just had to. I've been waiting for something quilt worthy, but here goes. I have a German Shepherd a couple of years older than yours and he's outside most of the time. I can't imaging how much he would chew up if he were in the house. He loves flower pots, plastic drainage tile, big branches, 2x4's, frisbies, pop bottles, you name it, but I love him so much. He is my baby. And when I saw that pic, it looks just like him saying "Oh, you love me and you know it".

I admire all the quilts posted here. I've only had my Millie for about 3 weeks and I'm in love with her. I have lots and lots of practice ahead of me and look forward everyday, to all the wise words of wisdom that all of you share.

My name is Sheryl and I look forward hearing more about your "babies". :D

Well, I'm glad you can fix the quilt! Rika is such a little snookie pootz!! What a doll! I'm a sucker for German Shepherds anyway. We don't stay mad at our Shepherd for too long! Even though when she's outside and I call her in she gives me a look like, "Yea right! I'll be in when I'm good and ready!":mad:

I think once you have a German Shepherd that's what you always have! I'd be covered up in them if I could!:P:P

Archived