Taking the next big step

Okay folks, my husband thinks I'm crazy. I just had him drive down to renew my ad in the Shopper's Guide ( a booklet of local ads that is published weekly. I had him ad this to my ad

"Summer Quilting classes now forming"

I'm planning to offer classes out of my home to no more than 6 students at a time. I will teach basic machine piecing, basic hand piecing, a Block of the Month sampler class, and perhaps one pertaining to fabric dying and painting (if there is enough interest).

What do you all think? Have I lost my mind? The ad starts running Thursday and goes for a month. I hope it brings me some much needed business.

I also just finished piecing a donation quilt for Relay for Life, and I have two contest quilts in the process of being completed.

Is this what you meant when you said do everything I can to get my name out there? LOL

Thanks for the opinions, I truly respect them.

Teresa

www.chickenscratchquilting.com

Teresa,

I think it is a great idea, if you have the time. Beside, think of the business it will generate from the pieced quilts. One of the LA's in my area gives LA classes out of her home. That one really makes me happy, because one of the people that know that took the class said, "Forget it, I'm leaving the LA to the professionals!" That is exactly what I wanted to hear. But piecing quitls! Please tell them how to put the borders on correctly;)

Good luck,

Mary Beth

I tried doing that in my home, and I got a few calls, but we have so many LQSs and JoAnns that offer classes, I think people are hesitant to go with an individual. And then after I thought about it more, I realized I might be taking that business away from the LQSs-not a way to make friends. But your situation might be different. If someone calls, I will do taylored one-on-one for $15 per hour, and I have done a few that way. The quilt shops know I offer that, so they refer an occaisional client or two for indiviidual instructions. They don't want to bother.

Be sure to read the recnt thread about getting business.........

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=129

Judy was very generous with her time to be so thourough with this thread.

I think it's a great idea.... :)

I had thought of doing it too!!

I'm a newbie to machine quilting, but I have been piecing for many years. I've been told that my quilts are very well pieced & my X- la'r has told me that my quilts are a treat to quilt, (my boarders lay flat & my points are not cut off).

I was thinking that I would see if there were groups that might be intrested in taking the basics in quilting & piecing...ie. new mommy's/ mom's to be, or teen's/kids after school, & since my mother is interested (never pieced & she's 84) maybe some senior's group.

Anyway just thought I'd tell you I think your idea is smart, & if you have the room go for it.

Teresa -

Good Luck to you! I think it will work for you if you want it to. As long as

you have the time and the space - that's great! I too want to offer this

when I have a studio built. (right now I am in the living room) I also want

to get an addiitional machine with the CQ and rent out one and give

lessons on that. Like Mary Beth said - then they see how much work it does

take to do what we do!

I have helped out a couple of new quilters from my church, and they have

had me quilt for them. It is nice to have the "One on One" too, some people

do not like to try something new in a group.

Yes - it is a BIG advantage to having the borders put on nice and square

and flat. So much easier to quilt! I have those instruction in my brochure

and have walked many through the process!

P.S. Good job on the website too! Had to check-it-out, I still need to take

that step!

I have a friend who would like me to teach her 11 year old daughter how to use her new machine she got for Christmas.

What are your suggestions on:

-how much to charge

-how long should the lesson be (keeping her age in mind)

-what little project should she make while learning

I was thinking I could see how the first lesson goes and schedule another one if she would like.

Hi, I teach 8th grade for a living, so I know how working with kids can be.

First of all, does the kid want to learn or does the MOM want the kid to learn. That makes a big difference. A kid will willingly put up with instruction, practice, and frustration if it is something they really want to do. If they aren't that interested they will give up quickly. My own 13 year old son is an example of that.

If the girl really does want to learn then why not set up a one hour lesson and see how it goes. If you think that is too long then shorten the time, but I think it would honestly take me an hour to explain threading, tension, presser feet, bobbin winding and all the other basics that go before the actual sewing.

As for charges, I plan to charge $15 per hour for my classes. I earn that much teaching. I will still be teaching, just different content. Besides I'm used to teaching 25-30 students at once. This will be basically one-on-one.

The ad comes out today. I will let you all know how many calls I get.

Teresa

www.chickenscratchquilting.com

I have taught a few people to quilt/piece. I have taught my MIL to paper piece (which is all she ever does now). I have teached my SIL to quilt using the strip pieced method using Alex Anderson's Start Quilting book (the rail fence project is a real great begining and the project isn't overwhelming in size or expense). I have taught my 15 yr old to do both strip pieced and paper pieced methods but she dosen't care much for sewing. Then I also taught my 10 year old to paper piece and strip piece and she loves it and is constantly raiding my stash for new projects.

I agree when teaching kids to quilt/sew they really have to want to learn it or it will be a waste of your time as well as theirs.

Joann

Teresa, I have been doing this for over a year. These are individuals that do not do well in a larger class. They need more one on one and when they finish a quilt top they have me quilt it for them. They also tell others and I have gotten business from word of mouth.

Joann, as far as teaching kids goes, I have taught my grandkids and the youngest was 4. He started by sewing straight lines, which I had drawn with a ruler, on paper with no thread in the machine. Once he got so he could sew straight lines then we added thread and scraps of fabric. He loved doing it and the emphasis was always on safety!

His 5 year old sister made a quilt, 9 patch, and did an excellent job as did their sisters ages 8 and 10.

I also worked with 14 Brownies and they made 2 quilts for QOV and did a fantastic job. That really surprised me since there were 14 of them working on each quilt.

Turned out to be really fun and very rewarding for me!:D

Archived