HELP - Loud Sqeaky Noise

meg

hi everyone -

lola is making a loud squeaky/scratchy noise when i quilt. i have cleaned the rails and q-tipped the wheels, oiled the wicks and thoroughly blown out and wd40'd the bobbin case. even took out the little blue thingy in the bobbin and oiled in there. i am trying a new thread combo so have been playing with the tensions and am having success - her stitches look great both front and back - but i am worried about this noise. it is new, loud & not normal. she only squeaks when she is actually sewing...if i move her around without stitching, she is quiet. i am quilting from the front of the machine & it sounds like it is coming from lola - not the frame. but i cant be sure cause i am new at this. i have searched the forums for almost an hour looking and couldnt find the answer. please help if you can. meg

ps - maybe i should make my member name PITA :(

Are you using any rulers? I found on this last quilt when I used a certain ruler that the foot squeaked against the ruler. I thought it was the machine until DH put his head down there while I sewed. He sprayed this great dry lubricant from his woodworking shop on the edge of the ruler, we let it dry and wiped it down so none got on the quilt. Used it again and it was quiet, no squeaking.

Just a thought...

no rulers - r u kidding me? i am still learning how to freehand.

i am pumped that i got to using king tut and i have a good stitch quality. i have dealt with the tension beast and have not been defeated..yet. i will keep thinking about this til i can call amy tomorrow.

thanks for helping.

here is an update...

i checked the blue thingy to make sure it was in right - it was exactly the same as my other bobbin case. ruled that out.

i called apqs and they called me back. while i was on the phone with them, not amy but a nice fella whose name i have already forgotten, lola decided to stop squeaking. she started up again after i hung up, but it wasnt as loud as it was last night. i also noticed that it started up when my bobbin was low. i wonder if it a low bobbin noise...i am going to see if that's what it is before i bother those nice folks again.

on a postive note - just cause i like positive notes - the nice fella on the phone asked me to turn off the stitch regulator and sew. well, i had never done that yet. but i took a deep breath, did it - and survived! not even a broken thread or anything.

i'll post again if something more comes up just to make sure it is here for the next poor newbie like me!

Ok - i am trying to remain calm and not get frustrated, but this noise is driving me nuts. she is cleaned and oiled and threaded properly. i still have the first needle in that i got with the machine....somebody please give me the magic fix

here is everything i know about it:

-it sounds scratchy/squeaky

-it only happens after i have been quilting for a while & lola gets warmed up

-you can hear it better from the front of the machine than the back of the machine

-in front of machine the sounds appears to be coming from somwhere either around or just under the needle

-my sons got under there when i was stitching and thought it was coming from the bobbin case altho they are not the most reliable sources

-i have noticed that the 2 raised parts on the blue thingy in the bobbin are now silver - could these be rubbing?

-it only happens when i move the machine and it is stitching - i have never heard it when i am just moving the carriage when lola is off.

everything seems to be going fine - my stitches are ok and so far no ugly blobs or anything - but this noise is seriously annoying :mad:

The blue thingy is the backlash spring and yes, the prongs get silver as the bobbin rubs against them.

Take out the bobbin and case and unthread the needle and then go ahead and stitch. Is it still squeaking? What kind of bobbins are you using? aluminum? try a prewound and see if the squeaking goes away. I find that the aluminim bobbins seem to rattle around a bit more and are noisier than steel or prewounds. I am not saying this is your problem, just something to try/rule out.

:DI FIGURED IT OUT - and i feel like such a dope now. it was my new extended base that wasn't screwed on tight enough causing it. it came to me when my son said, 'how can you stand that noise - it sounds like something is loose.' i sat there and tried to figure out what could have come loose, and voila - it came to me. i tightened the 2 screws and NO MORE NOISE! :D YAY! :Di hadn't thought of this cause when i finished my last practice quilt, i put it on and then started the king tut/bottom line tension trials and forgot all about the new base. WHAT A DOPE!

Thanks to you all for trying to help! ;)Meg

Hi

Unthread the machine andTake the bobbin case out and try stitching. I don't think its the blue thingy. Try to work out whether its coming from the front or the back of the machine.

Could it be coming from the back of the machine behind the long back cover. I am wondering if the belt behind that cover is rubbing.

Archived