Teaching a class/lecture

Well I just got scheduled to do a class on Professional Longarming at the Local Quilt shop in September. This gives me time to work up some horror samples for those that attend. Any suggestions on topic to cover would be greatly appreciated.

Adding Borders properly will be a must.

I will get my class notes and tips typed up sometime this month.

So let me have it!!!

Yea I know some of you are wondering "Tammie teaching a class" but I can do it. At least I keep telling myself that. lololololol

You Go Girl!! :P

Yippee, you can do it! ;)

If any of you want an outline here is what I have put together, feel free to use it as, is or modify to your specs etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Preparing Your Quilt

*Good Preparation of the quilt top will ensure a quality finished quilt. Make sure the borders lie flat. Trim all stray threads. Press the top to ensure that the seams all lie flat (either open or pressed to one side.) Repair any seams that are separating. Sew a line of stay-stitching a ? inch from the outside edge of the top if you have pieced your borders or your quilt has no borders or you are using flannel.

* Square Quilt is a Beautiful Quilt!

Measure the outside edges lengthwise. Do the same widthwise. If there is more than a one inch difference, it is possible that your quilt will have tucks when quilted. The most common reason for measurement differences is improperly applied borders. Other causes are stretched bias edges or imperfect mitered corners. Be sure to let your quilter know if there is a measurement difference- she/he can let you know if the problem can be ?quilted out? or if you will have to correct it before quilting.

*Backing Fabrics

Provide the correct size backing fabric. An extra 3 inches on all sides is a minimum. Check with your quilter to find out her/his preferences. Be sure the edges of the backing fabric are square to each other. Bed sheets are NOT recommended for backings fabrics. Remove ALL selvages when pressing backing.

*Batting

Some quilters provide batting, some ask you to provide your own. Most types of batting can be used on a longarm, so as long as it doesn?t pull apart easily. Give a gentle tug on the batting- if it separates at all, it isn?t a good choice for use on the longarm machine. If you are unsure which type of batting is appropriate for your project, talk to your quilter.

*Thread

Your quilter will likely supply the thread that is meant for high speed quilting. Make sure to discuss with your quilter his/her preferences. There are great choices available in cotton, Poly, monofilament, & metallic; solid or variegated.

*Quilting Designs

If you have an idea of what you want on your quilt, be sure and tell your quilter. Even a vague idea can help her/him to see where you want to go. Also, if the quilt is to be a gift to a particular person, let your quilter know that as well. It will help to make sure that the design is appropriate. And it is perfectly okay if you just don?t have any idea what to do with the quilting, your machine quilter is sure to have some ideas for you.

*Pricing

Quilting on a Longarm is different than quilting on your home machine.

Stitch in the ditch (SID) is simple and easy at home, but is one of the most difficult (and therefore most expensive) things to do on the Longarm. Each quilter has her/his own pricing structure, but generally pricing is based on size of the quilt and the difficulty/density of the quilting.

*Meeting the Quilter

When you meet with your Machine Quilter, you should plan to discuss the thread, batting and the quilting design. You should leave with an understanding of what is going to be done to your quilt, how much it will cost, and when you should expect it to be finished. Don?t be afraid to call your quilter later if you find that you have lingering questions.

Good Communication is the key to obtaining good results that you can be proud of! :)

Happy Quilting!

I'm so glad you posted this message. My LQS owner has more confidence in me than I do. She just told me this week that she is planning on adding some classes, and one, I might want to teach :o I almost ran out of the store. Then she said it would be "How to Talk to a Longarm Quilter". I told her I have some suggestions. And I printed off the subjects that you listed, Linda. I will be dropping them by for her to look at. Hopefully she will forget that she asked me about this ;)

Thank you and have a great day,

Mary Beth

Mary Beth,

Please have faith in yourself, if your shop owner sees your potential, then you posses the skills she is looking for!

It might help walking to your mirror, looking your self in eye & have a little heart to heart talk! Say things like ?You can do it?, ?you are a fun person?, ?a great quilter?, ?people will value my information? etc. Just what ever it takes to encourage your self! Attitude is everything, you can project that confidence so you can shine!

Just have fun & do not put too much pressure on your self, you will be surprised at how much fun you will have!!

Hi Tammie~

Regarding how to apply perfect borders, I tell quilters to measure the top, & bottom of the quilt & cut borders to that EXACT size. Place a "target" pin in the center of the border & quilt top & match those, target pin the ends & work in pinning in the fullness. This will help greatly to keep that square.

The selvages need to be cut off because it causes uneven tension with the tighter weave of the selvage, not to mention the unsightly extra bulk that it will make in the quilt. :mad:

Stay stitching is very necessary to prevent popping of seams once you have the quilt top loaded.

Proper 1/4 seams in the piecing ensure that the quilt top will not split open & pop when on the frame, some weaves of fabric such as flannel, can unravel into the seam if not given a generous seam allowance.

We need "all" that extra backing fabric as the backing fabric takes up several inches as the quilt is quilted. Take some notebook paper & roll up to show how the under side "takes up" much more than the top. Also we need some fabric to attach to the leaders & the clamps!

If you have time you might consider making up a "Power Point" presentation with all of this info & some pictures of you, your quilting, your machine, & studio. It adds alot of visual aid, & looks so professional, you can send them home with the hand outs & your contact info too. ;)

Hopes this helps, let me know if you need clarification etc.

Mary Beth,

Just get your confidence up there, girlfriend. You wanted that new job and you went after it and got it. I know you can do the same thing with teaching this class. Think about the customers that it will bring in and they'll know how to prepare that quilt top the right way. Dollars for teaching the class and dollars for quilting their quilts because they know you and trust you. Its a win/win situation.

Phyllis

Good for you Tammie - how do you find the time?

Linda - great list - thanks for posting it - every quilter can use this!

Mary Beth - You can do it! This IS a great business opportunity! Keep you

in nicely with the LQS and customer contacts - people who will know the

correct way to prepare their quilts. Like Phyllis said a "WIN / WIN"

situation - Go for it! Take plenty of business cards with you and a sample

of your best work.

Good Luck to both of you! I wish I had this opportunity. There are only 2 QS

in town. Each has an employee that has Long Arm, one also with a Mid-arm

machine - and hands out MANY business cards for different quilters.

Archived