thread breaking and when to change needle

I have been really busy with my Lenni! I do have a question. I just put a new quilt on to get ready to quilt and added a 40 wt. trilobal polyester thread to the top ( I have used this brand before) and a 50 wt polyester to the bobbin ( same company - Superior the top thread is a Rainbow the bobbin thread is a So fine - I really like this brand) and began quilting. The top thread keeps breaking. it is very frustrating. The tension looks good- thread lays well. It just keeps breaking. Do I need the same weight on the top and bottom? I have had my machine since June and I am beginning to experiment more. Another question i have is how often should I change the needle? Thanks1

No, you don't need to have the same weight top and bottom. Rainbows is a finicky thread. You need to have your needle tension (top thread) pretty loose. How long have you had the same needle in? I change mine every couple of quilts or when the thread keeps breaking! I would try a new needle, but if it continues, try turning your needle just slightly so the eye is at the "35" minute on the clock. Also loosen the tension and see if that helps.

Originally posted by Farmwife

Do you always keep you 'eye' at 35 minutes or just with the Rainbow thread?? Just wondering.

Thanks.

Darlene, for me this was an issue with the older machine. That machine seemed to like all threads better at 35, where the new machine is more spot on at 30. So I think it's what works for you and it. I did notice that as the hook wore down with use and time on the older machine I gradually went from 30 to 35.

I have found that if the top thread breaks often, I can sometimes switch to a larger needle and get good results. This is especially true when sewing through tightly woven fabrics.

For instance, I am currently doing a quilt using King Tut on the top and Masterpiece in the bobbin. I started with the recommended 4.0 needle. After about 6 or 7 thread breaks I switched to a 4.5 needle and that solved the problem.

The backing fabric is a Moda 100% cotton, but it is very dense and fairly thick. So I think the larger needle helped the thread go through the fabric without breaking.

Linda,

I too have been having problems with this combination of thread. I even thought about selling the machine as i was so fed up with the tension issue. Today I went back to the machine and changed the top thread to Sew Fine as I was so fed up trying to get the machine to work with rainbow. I still had a few issues and ended up frogging yet again but fingers crossed it is going okay.

I am seeing the rep in a couple of weeks weather permitting so hopefully I'll get some help.

Tracy G

recently when i was having tension issues with variagated YLI, a couple of tips helped me. I double looped it around the rotary tension things, I made sure my first threading guide was directly over the spool of thread (mine was cocked off to the left), and I really loosened the top tension and then worked my way SLOWLY to a tension that didn't break the thread ... it took some time to get it right but finally nailed it. also i had YLI in both top and bottom. dancing slowly but gliding swirling and now i'll bow.

Thanks for all of the great tips. I decided to change the top thread to the same brand as the bottom thread. I also changed the needle. Actually, I changed the needle first then tried it with the original top thread and it still kept on breaking. So then I changed the top thread to have the same weight as the bottom. Everything worked fine. Next time I have a quilt on the machine, I will try the weaving approach with the Rainbow thread.

Linda,

Dancing Bear also had some good advice, just make your tension really loose and then gradually tighten it back up until your stitches just look good, you can really play with the tension and once you do so, you will not be nervous or frustrated about it any more...the more comfortable you get with your machine, the easier it seems to get. Just put some muslin on and play...

Rainbows, for me anyway, like a bigger needle. I use a size 4, tried 3.5 but the thread was shredding and breaking. And slow down too, that helped.;)

I also had thread breaking a lot and found a burr on my bobbin race, not the sharp hook park, but the one that looks like a finger, I sanded it a tiny bit and now even my metallics glide through!:P:P

I was part way through posting tothis thread and my message disappeared into the great WWW, so if this appears twice I am sorry!

I am currenty at Road to California and have just taken two beginners classes with Marilyn Badger. Marilyn is a wonderful teacher and we got lots of great information. We were using Millies and Freedoms in the class with Highlights thread. I believe that is the non varigated version of Rainbows. We were all having trouble with thread breakage and Marilyn changed us over to Floriani threads and the breakages stopped. She commented that she has found the beginners often have a problem with Highlights/Rainbow threads because of the jerky movements and the sudden changes in speed. Perhaps using a stronger thread like Floriani or Isacord to begin with would help and then switch over to some of the more finicky threads as we become more experienced. I have been using Isacord when I ppp and have not had trouble with breakages or tension issues. I will try my fancy thread collection when I become more confident!

Sorry Linda, I wasn't meaning that you lack experience. Your thread breaking story just fitted in with my experience in class.

Sue

Archived