Advertising Nationally

Has anyone tried advertising in a nationally read magazine such as The Quilter or F & P's Love of Quilting?

If so, how did it work out? Was one magazine more successful than others?

I'm placing an ad in our guild newsletter. Our Electric Coop has a monthly newsletter that I'm going to place an ad in. I've left business cards and brochures at LQS and I've placed ads in Find-a-Quilter and the Quilter's Yellow Pages.

I am really struggling with my business and I'm looking for a way of increasing it. I really need to be bringing in some income each month. I have zero customer quilts to work on. I finished the last one about two weeks ago. I've been working on a quilt that I can enter in the fair this fall and a couple of other things that I can use as samples of my work. I plan to take them to Guild the end of this month. I've had compliments on everything I've done and repeat customers. Just not enough of them!

Where is that person that has a closet full of tops that need to be quilted.:)

Phyllis Hughes

Oklahoma City

www.myheartlandquilts.com

Phyllis,

Why don't you call a few folks that have ads and ask them. They may not be totally forthcoming, but ask them how many times they have done it. If they keep placing those ads, there is probably some success there.

I have not done it, but I have a freind that placed in 3 mags, all in the same month. She got the most calls from Quilter's Newsletter, but that's all she got from any of them- calls. Thye would say, oh I love your website, your work, I have 3 quilts ready to be quilted, blah blah, but never got any sent to her.

Have you tried ads in the nearby guild's newsletters/membership booklets? I give a 10% first time discount and then a $10 certificate if they refer a first time client.

Gppd luck!

Guest Linda S

I don't know what will come of it, but I placed an ad (or listing) in the Professional Quilters Yellow Book. I think it comes out in the fall. Here is the link: http://www.quiltingprofessional.com/PLYB.htm It's only $30 and supposedly gets distributed to quilt shops, shows, etc., around the country. I think the national advertising in the big magazines is pretty expensive, but I'm not sure.

Linda

I did a charity raffle quilt for our local chapter of Project Linus this past Feb. and they put my info on there website. I have gotten several customers from that. In fact just this week I received a call from a woman that lives down in Tuscon that is sending me some quilts to do for her. Never under estamate where you can generate business.

Joann

Linda, I tried the Professional Quilter's Yellow Book last year. I was the only one listed in Oklahoma City so I thought for sure I'd get some calls. Didn't get any.

I don't think the prices in the national magazines are that bad if you run a classified type ad; somewhere in the neighborhood of $35.00-$50.00.

Caron, I've consistently seen two quilters advertising in The Quilter Magazine for the past year. I figure they must be getting a response if they continue to do it. I 'm sure your friend was very disappointed to get so little response from her ads. I know I would be. I was thinking about starting with the local guild and our Electric Coop's newsletters, but then I realized the amount of lead time needed to place an ad in a national magazine. You have to place them in the next couple of weeks for the Fall issues.

JoAnn, The charity quilts are a good idea that I will have to look into.

Thanks for the ideas.

Phyllis Hughes

www.myheartlandquilts.com

My DH and I were just talking about that Yellow Book, (he tries to be my PR man - I try not to tell him anything about the business;) ). I have never seen one of these books. I go to quilt shops all the time, in our area and when we travel. I went to MQS. I go to local quilt shows. Where are these books? It sounds like a handy thing to have, for a piecer, but if the books are not out there for them to pick up, then how much good would it be to advertise in them.

Our local machine quilters guild prints up a directory to distruibute to all of our LQS. I have had one customer from that publication in 2 years. It doesn't cost anything to advertise in it, as long as you are a member of the guild. So that is fine with me.

Just thinking out loud:)

Mary Beth

Archived